The Photographic Periodic Table

About this project

Periodictable.com is the creation by Theodore Gray, with assistance from Nick Mann, and in partnership with Max Whitby of RGB Research. They operate under the name Element Collection, Inc, whose main business activity, other than the creation of this website, is the publishing and sale of Posters, books, card decks that are related to the periodic table. This stemmed from the books that are a trilogy by Theodore Gray called ‘Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe’; which is an eye-opening, original collection of beautiful, never-before-seen photographic representations of the 118 elements in the periodic table. 

Book link

Site link

The website-

The site is an old school feel to it with the dark mode and neon coloured text. It has taken the photographs of the elements and displayed them in a grid like style replicating the periodic table. You can hover over each element and it displays the element with some additional information, when clicked it takes you to another page where it gives you more in depth explanation of the element alongside other images.

I thought this was a cool thing to add to my research as I haven’t came across a website like it, this was an innovative way to show the elements in their natural states and the photographs add a nice visual effect to the project. Initially before thinking about my own idea I really wanted to work with real jpegs and png’s with my own project as I have no real experience with this so I want to do some further research about that and how to do this well, this was a fun eye opener for me. Looking at this project I now definitely want to work with images, I think this gives it such a real and raw appearance and atmosphere. With the image work it’s like a closer connection to the elements.

IXD301- The Photographic Periodic Table
Tagged on: