For one of this weeks tasks Daniel wanted us to take a local brand and draw up a set of brand guidelines for that establishment, it could be anything from restaurants to clothing brands. He said to chose something local as they probably wouldn’t have brand guidelines available, this means that I would need to really think about that brand and their tone of voice etc, and essentially create those guidelines from scratch as if that business was my own.

The Kitchen, Omagh

I have chosen to look into The Kitchen in Omagh which is a local restaurant that serves fresh and healthy food.

Website link- The Kitchen

Instagram link – The Kitchen

Brand guidelines include:

• Colour palette
  • Logos
  • Brands message/tone of voice
  • Typography
  • Brands story
  • Imagery

Brand Guidelines for The Kitchen

Brand story

We opened our doors on Omagh’s Castle Street in 2015 with a small budget and a big dream – to do food differently. Just as the kitchen is the heart of the home, we wanted to put The Kitchen at the heart of our community, creating a warm and inviting haven where our patrons feel immediately at ease.

Welcoming atmosphere that has seen so many of our regular patrons also become our friends, and transformed The Kitchen into a space that never fails to lift the spirits and soothe the soul.

Voice and Tone

Here at The Kitchen we are:

• local
  • free spirited
  • family orientated
  • homely
  • inviting
  • inclusive
  • organic

Our logo

Our logo is simple and elegant with a modern edge and here are our logo rules:

• Pair these two fonts, a combination of Times and Railway & don’t use any other pairings
  • Don’t go below a font size 16 px
  • Use this font colour only – rgb(243,236,225)

Our colour palette

Our colour palette is minimal, fresh and sleek. In order to uphold our fresh, modern yet organic and clean atmosphere we have opted for cool, fresh tonal palette that compliments each and every colourful dish that we create. This is a recurring palette that we use in our logo, our online presence such as our website, our indoor interior within the restaurant and throughout our advertising.

Typography

We use a combination of a few different fonts throughout our brand but we don’t stray from these, don’t use any other typefaces from the ones mentioned below:

Logo Typography

For our logo use-

1.Font name:Times

Font size:16px

Font weight: 400px

2.Font name: Raleway, sans-serif

Font size:16px

Font weight: 400px

Font colour: rgb(0,0,238)

Web typography 

Headings-

Font name: Abel, sans-serif

Font size:84px

Font weight: 700px

Font colour: rgb(243,236,225)

For secondary font use-

Font name: Raleway, sans-serif

Font size:16px

Font weight: 400px

Font colour: rgb(255,255,255)

Imagery

The imagery we use includes high quality well balanced photography of our delicious meals and dishes. We include this photography across all platforms of our online presence including our website and other forms of social media so that a wide range of people can see our delicious, high-quality ingredients that are locally sourced and are all combined to create these delicious dishes inspired by global cuisine. We only use the highest quality images of our own meals/dishes and no other imagery as we want to highlight our authenticity and immense quality.

This task was an interesting one but I think very beneficial, it was useful to put yourself in the brands shoes and create rules and do’s and dont’s as if the brand was your own. I think that this will definitely make it easier when I write up my own brand guidelines as this task was good practice for that, I am now in the correct frame of mind and am more aware of the language and the way I need to word my brands rules.  It was quite unnatural for me to write out rules, e.g. don’t use smaller size for fonts, this felt pushy but this is the language that all brand guidelines use and I need to do the same for my own brand; this was great practice and I am now much more prepared to write my own.

IXD103- Brand Guidelines task
Tagged on: