Week 11 Lecture thoughts

In week 11 lecture Kyle spoke about the here and now, what interfaces we have now in todays society and he also talked about what the future might hold for this industry.

We looked at a range of exciting and modernised tech such as:

• Smart homes
  • AR
  • Wearable tech

Can we remove the screen?

Kyle discussed things that haven’t been designed yet, the future of interaction design. He posed the big question, can we remove the screen? This includes the VR industry and how it continues to advance each year and this is an area that literally blows my mind. We watched a short clip of a Ted Talk about VR by John Underkoffler, he invented a point-and-touch interface called g-speak — and it’s about to change the way we interact with data! I was unaware how advanced this type of tech was, Underkoffler was moving elements on the screen with special gloves without actually touching the screen.

Design Principles

The first principles:

• Proportions
  • Hierarchy
  • Typography
  • Composition
  • Systems
  • Narrative

When all of these principles come together, I learned that I can create beautifully designed user experiences which will allow us to embrace the full potential of the design. I learned that no matter what I design for by standing on these foundational elements I can achieve greatness!

We looked at apples website and how they make use of these principles to create a interactive yet well designed interface. What I found interesting about Apple’s work is that they used these principles and they created a story out of their webpage, with transitions, grids and animations. Apple seem to weave their products seamlessly into the story they want to portray and story telling is an aspect of design I am eager to learn more about and research further, I think it is remarkable how a brand and company can create stories with simple elements!

Reflection on this lecture…

This has been one of my favourite lectures as I am really interested in the future and the endless possibilities there is. I think that in this particular field anything is possible and it is exciting to watch the technological world develop and this lecture has increased my excitement that I will hopefully be apart of something that could change the way we see the world! Personally I would love to design applications and tech that will help a lot of people in the future.

IXD102- The here, now and future of interaction design
Tagged on: