IXD104 – week 2 – creating my dinosaur icon set and encyclopedia screen

MY INSPIRATIONS:

After doing research into iconographers I found that I loved the style of Kyle Tezaks iconography – its very overly simplified and geometric however the true objects shape still manages to shine through the style – causing the viewer to immediately understand the true meaning of the icon.Justas Galaburda was also a huge inspiration for me, his icons have so much personality and feel almost as though they’re going to jump off the screen.  I was heavily influenced by him when creating my large two icons on my home screen and as a result i’m going to also try and keep consistency with these.

MOODBOARDING TO FIND AN OVERALL STYLE:

I created a moodpboard so I could better understand the style I liked and that would fit my app.

SKETCHING:

I wanted my icon set to be geometric but not too minimalist – allowing the dinosaur anatomy to come through the heavily simplified style.  I debated using headshots of the dinosaurs as icons however the species identification is all about full body anatomy so decided against this idea.

FINAL ICON SKETCHES:

MY FINAL OUTCOMES:

I digitised my sketches on Figma.

INDIVIDUALS:

GROUPINGS:

FINAL SCREENS:

I feel that the purple background fits with the overall theme of the app a lot better and also would be more enticing for children to choose – however the white allows the iconography to stand out.

As a result of these points I think ill chose the purple background for my final screen