week 4 IXD101 – PROJECT 2 – “100 Iterations”

Group work and choosing 100 images:

My inspiration:

As I was completing this project, I found that as I looked out my window from my uni accommodation the view of Belfast changed throughout the day:

I liked how the colours and shadows were affected as well as the backdrop of the sky as the day progressed.

Brainstorming how a city changes from day to night:

My chosen 9 images:

My narrative was to explore how a city changes from morning until night.

My inspiration into narrative and art style:

narrative inspo

As we gathered the 100 images in our Pinterest board I began to notice how much of a clear divide there was between natural and manmade forms.  I focused on gathering images involving line and so I ended up seeing a lot of buildings, lampposts, road signs and building infrastructure.

Art style Inspiration

As I want to improve with digital art I decided i’d research other digital artists who use buildings and urban forms.  Mark Blankas posters stood out to me a lot for their simplicity and lack of shading. The series of posters below are designed to look like certain sports environments.  They were made up of simple shapes and despite this are extremely clear about the subject matter they’re communicating:

Kee440 on instagram is also very inspiring to me due to the simplification of textures in his work.  He concentrates purely on building structure and shadow/ lighting conditions in order to create his artwork.  Some useful things to note about his work are that there are no outlines, he pays very close attention to shade with shadows, and that he applies graininess in the backdrop of the sky before adding any more layers.

Mateusz Urbanowicz is also one of my favourite artists.  He  uses watercolour, gouache, ink, and Procreate as his main mediums and creates scenes for movies, comics and books. His city scenes are my favourite of his work and he has a series called “Tokyo at Night” which I found very useful when taking photos.

My narrative:

I wanted to focus on how a city changes as a day progresses.  id like to focus on how light affects the city throughout the day and why this is.

My process:

layout of an Instagram story – will be 1080×1920 Pixels and its also worth noting the information surrounding the story at the top and bottom of the screen.

Planning sketches:

Using procreate:

Procreate drawings outcome:

The sun begins to rise

up and up it goes – the clouds change to shades of pink as it rises

birds chirp,

people begin their daily travels

shops and restaurants open,

but suddenly the sunlight turns orange again,

clouds turn pink,

street lamps come on

our lights go off.

Looking at Kee440’s designs further:

After looking again at Kee440s designs I decided adding a grain effect to my own  (especially the sky) would add further depth and texture.

original:

Added grain:

Final designs:

the sun begins to rise,

and orange,

birds chirp

people begin their daily travels

shops and restaurants open,

but suddenly, the orange light comes back

pink clouds reappear

street lights go on

our lights go off