Hidden Viewpoints – 14/03/23

This was a workshop task that we did with Fru. We were told to go around the university and draw ‘hidden viewpoints’ – corners and little places that stood out to us as forming a composition. We were told to only use black and white mediums, so I chose to work with a black marker on white paper.

Day 1 of 2.

Each drawing is a5 in size, a set of 8. I didn’t want to use a pencil before drawing, and jumped straight in with my marker. Some drawings and sections are more imperfect than others, but I really like the loose style and how you can see a little bit of my movement in each illustration.

1. BD Block Square Wave cafe, by the doors
  2. Out the window of the foundation TADF studio
  3. Out the window of the foundation graphic design studio
  4. Corner of TADF with fabric forming shadows
  5. HJEM cafe entrance inside BSOA art shop
  6. HJEM cafe standing from opposite
  7. By the lifts of floor 4, chairs propping door open
  8. Corner of the foundation graphic design studio

Day 2 of 2.

For this task with Fru, we used our drawings to make a little accordion book with the title ‘Hidden Viewpoints’. I wanted to use my third sketch as the title page as it had a natural rectangle for putting it in. We used a white sheet of paper to take quick product style photos, and set them up beside the window to show them with natural light passing through. This was a really fun exercise in observational drawing and finding composition, and I really liked my final outcome.