The beginning of term two and the start of another project here at Ulster!

For my second term here at Ulster we have been introduced to our third project with Kyle, this time focusing on Narrative and Storytelling and creating a project and meeting the requirement for our new brief that we discussed this week in class.

This week started off with an online recorded class session with Kyle that he uploaded at the beginning of the week to allow us time to take in the new content and allow us to start up our creative minds once again after being away from the Christmas break.

For this weeks class we focused on:

• Introduction to module
  • Deliverables and Expectations 
  • Brief: Apollo

Modules intro –

Storytelling is used to enhance content

Within this module we will be considering the enhancements of our art direction for this project when it comes to the pacing and narrative control of showcasing pieces of information for users through the creation of a web based content.

Kyle will take us through the dynamics of design and showing us how to unfold a story across a frame over a period of time by considering and looking closely at:

• User Journeys- How a user makes their way through pieces of content
  • understanding the importance of pacing and flow through content
  • Introduction into broader palette of design tools (behaviour, emotions, visual feedback and transitions.

Taking these points into consider then will allow me as a designer on this project to be able to define an emotional response from my users.

Creation:

In this module I have been assigned to create two products that is based around one subject area (Apollo). These will include:

• Immersive Prototype (Figma, InDesign)
  • Website/Digital Publication

Deliverables:

D1 – 60% Immersive Prototype (soft dealing week 6)

Narrative Website/Digital Publication (week 12)

Presentation (week 13)

D2 – 40% Weekly blog posts

Research, discovery and supporting materials, sketches, wireframes and mockups (week 13)

Tasks

For next weeks class Kyle has tasked us to watch a talk by Cindy Chastain and begin our research by creating a moodboard around the Apollo missions/space/NASA etc.

For this module I will be looking at putting more of a hands-on aim when it comes to my research and documentation of discovery as I have felt that with facing my recent project in a pandemic environment that I have slacked in my area of hands on research. So for this when creating my moodboard I am aiming to create a physical copy of print out ideas for all areas of this project that I can find online as well as visiting the library and outsourced book shops around the city centre to in-depth my research further for inspiration and content.

With this weeks task I will also be aiming to gather some of my own personal research looking through some documentaries on the Apollo missions I have found on my streaming services such as Netflix and Disney plus to allow me widen my knowledge and perception of this overall subject area.

To begin I have tasked myself for over the following days to start on Apollo 13 movie which is featured on Netflix and stars Tom Hanks.