Elements Brand –

As soon as Kyle mentioned this week about our new deliverable project being based around science, the periodic table and elements I immediately jumped to my sketch book to get ideas down. This early on in the project I don’t expect to have my perfect brand ready to go but I just couldn’t help myself but get started on creating a new logo.

I didn’t go into these sketch aiming to create a sophisticated or a child friendly design because I haven’t determined at this point who I will be designing my application for. I just felt like getting started and wanted to see what I could create for fun and if something came from the design then I had something to work with in the weeks to come.

Sketches:

For my sketches for my brand I just went freehand them sketches out ideas that came to mind and taking inspiration from each piece I drew. You can see with the image the range of names I had been playing around with which determine the sizing and structure of the brand I could create.

I looked mainly at trying to incorporate as much of the theme of science into the brand that I could and bringing into the design of protons, neutron, element components and just ideas that came to mind when I thought of this project as a whole.

Digitised Brand

One I was happy with my sketches I moved onto illustrator then and drafting up a range of mockups basing my original designs off my sketch once again taking elements of design from one another and incorporating them into several different designs.

1. The Sci-lements design was just a fun one to get me started. I liked the name most of all and the design was to look like the structure of an atom with its protons and neutrons.

2. Then I created the PNE design using again the structure of an atom but in a different format. The PNE stood for Proton, Neutron and Electron. I thought this design would have looked well as an icon on a phone screen specifically and would be a good choice if was going down a more adult/sophisticated app design for university students.

3. The Tron design was a fun brand to create as I had so many concept I could go with and I got carried away with how I could structure and showcase the brand. Tron I got from the last four letters of Neutron and Electron and the shape of the hexagon reminded me of a design of a DNA digram. Once again I think this would work well for more a adult theme application with the bold black and white colours and the name in general I don’t think children would catch onto.

At this point I felt like I had two strong brands that represent the more mature side if this project and because of this then the next brand I wanted to aim for children and begin bring in different typography and brighter colours.

4. For this design concept I had the idea of looking at the periodic table and seeing if I could spell out a word and firstly went for PNE once again as this was an easy name for children to remember and I just designed it as if it was an element itself by including the symbol, atomic number and atomic weight.

I found the font in this brand call Abstract Groovy on Dafonts.com while researching some child life typography. I thought this typography looked like slime which I thought would really pair well with creating a brand for children.

5. With this idea then I really like the idea behind creating a name using the periodic table and designing this further to look like an element component so I decided to reavaluate my idea above and work on a better name. I came up with the name Genius because I thought it just represent the overall concept of this project.  The Genius stand for GE -Germanium, NI – Nickel, U -Uranium and S – Sulfur. I thought this was a fun play on word which I thought would work well with a kids application. I didn’t think this design was too mature looking and I had the idea to add illustration to create more of a child friendly feel.

Overall I think I have some strong design concepts to revert back to when choosing a brand for my project. I will focus in the coming weeks for feedback on my brand designs and further work on what I have designed to create the perfect brand that works well with my project idea.