Product Design – Light Form

My research heavily influenced the piece that I wanted to create for this task. I really loved the idea of creating a story with a lightbox and layers of paper, so I started with an initial sketch of what I wanted my story to be.

Vvv

After my initial sketch, I made some changed and refined the design a little more while keeping to the same theme and started from the back work forward with the pieces of paper. As I want the background to consist of the moon, being a light source, I cut out a circle from the page so that and light in the back with shine through.

My final design I feel came together well to tell the story of the wizard that finally found a heart. I used black card to create the wizards silhouette as I wanted him to contrast his surroundings and convey my story of him being without light in his life. I used a Quality Street wrapper to make the heart as it’s almost completely opaque and I thought it would catch the light well. I tried my lightbox In front of a number of different light sources around my house to try and find the one that worked the best as some let in too much light and some not enough. Out of the all the photos that were taken, I chose these 4 as my final pieces as each light is different and I feel this gives a different feeling to the setting.

Looking back after having finished my design I probably would have put a page behind the cutout so it had a more muted glow rather than shining through so it would resemble the moon more than shining like a sun. But either way I’m still very happy with how this piece turned out.