IDX101- Project 1- Part 2 Wax On, Wax Off

My first project of the year began with learning terms that were new to me like point, line and plane. After some research and sketch drawings using these new terms, I then set out creating 3×3 grids, using the point, line and plane principles I had learned. We were tasked in creating designs using points with 3 words from a list in mind, consisting of reflect, multiply, disperse, proximity, scale and dominance. For line we were given the words rhythm, frequency, symmetry and asymmetry to keep in mind when creating the designs. I had had a little experience using Figma from the Foundation Degree last year but as I developed more designs, the learning curve while using the programme got easier, meaning that I can successfully recreate my ideas digitally. I took inspiration from some of these photos below.

My chosen sketches from Point, Line and Plane.

Point

Unlike my first round of sketches, I wanted to make my designs busier so that there would be more than just a few points per tile.

Proximity

Multiply – Using the Fibonacci numbers.

Line

Symmetry- I wanted to design something that when looking at each tile as a whole, created a bigger design. This was influenced by my research of Zellij, an artform that first appeared in the 10th century which has been used mainly in Moroccan architecture. It consists of tilework covered in geometric shapes such as squares, triangles, stars and circles that can match up on all 4 corners to create an endlessly replicating and mesmerising design.

Asymmetry- I was inspired by the artist Nigel Peake when creating these designs. I wanted to create a sort of Japanese architecture feel with each collection of lines.

Rythem- Each line in this design represents the word in the first 60 seconds of my favourite song, the thickness of each line represents how long the word is and the timing of it in the song.

Plane

For each of my designs I used multiplication, mathematical structures and the Fibonacci sequence as well as taking inspiration from Piet Mondrian.

This design is comprised of square sequences that follow the Fibonacci numbers, 1, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34 and 55.

Plane was my favourite part of this project especially because designs like this that once appeared to be created randomly, I now understand that mathematics has a big role to play in maintaining some sort of law to these busy random designs. Just as those other artists had, each of my designs has mathematical reasoning behind why things are placed are sized how they are. I like how simple the last one came out, it looks like the periodic table or a series of boxes to input information.

Below I wanted to create some 3d art using planes as well as just recreating things from life with simple shapes. I was mostly just experimenting but I liked the outcome of these designs.

Published in IXD101

Comments