Week 5 – Assessment 1 Development

This week, I began modelling my staff for assessment 1. As the skull is the hardest part of the staff and was something I had never attempted before, I decided to begin with it so I would have longer to work on it than the other elements. I used the skull model to get the shape of this skull. I started by modelling the shape of the whole head first, then, I began the eyes. To create the sunken in eye sockets, I extruded the rough shape of the right eye inwards, then added dimensions to the sunken in portion and bevelled the edge of the socket. I also moved the vertices of the socket to try and give it a rounder look, however, I wasn’t happy with the shape of the socket or the whole skull. I didn’t know how to proceed with this model, so I thought as I wasn’t too far into modelling it would be better to start over than trying to continue with this object.

After restarting, I created the skull shape using a cube and smooth tool, the same as before, and modelled a jaw shape before moving onto the eyes. I extruded the socket inwards again and used the multi-cut tool to add 2 edges to each socket which I could manipulate to give the socket a rounder look.

I wasn’t sure if I should model the jaw separately or as part of the skull, so I reconnected the gaps in the skull until I can talk to Mike in my assessment 1 support meeting. I then modelled the nose by using the multi-cut tool to add more divisions to that area which allowed me to create the sunken in heart shape.

I then bevelled the edges of both eyes and the nose. I also smoothed them out and saved the smoothed model under a different file so I could go back in case I needed to make changes to the eyes and nose.

I also created a flower petal trial where I squashed, stretched out and smoothed a cube, then moved and rotated the top of the object using the B shortcut, giving a smoother petal shape.