Week 4 – Colour

This week we were tasked to use either a monochromatic, analogous, complementary or triadic colour scheme on one of our previous thumbnails to create a simple environment. I chose to use a monochromatic colour scheme as my worlds for the past few weeks have both had a magical, supernatural element to them, therefore, I chose to focus completely on the colour purple in my drawing. I learned from our lecture this week that purple is often used in film to create an ethereal, magical and illusory environment. I wanted to give my environment an ethereal feel as I thought the theme would go well with my current ‘magical academia’ world.

We were also tasked to create two scenes using different colour palettes to create two different emotions. As in the previous exercise my colour palette consisted mostly of brighter, more saturated shades of purple, I wanted to use darker colour palettes for this exercise. Keeping to the theme of my world, I used an analogous colour scheme that consisted of dark purples and blues to create a more mysterious scene. I am extremely happy with this drawing as I feel as though the bright stars in the dark sky gives the drawing a more magical element, whereas the dark shadows on the ground creates the mystery I was trying to convey.

For this drawing, I used mainly various shades of red to create an angrier environment. I changed the sky in this drawing to a cloudy, overcast day to make the drawing feel more closed in, generating a more fearful emotion in the viewer. For both drawings I used images that had either a clear, starry sky or a dark, cloudy one that I found on pinterest as references.

For this assignment we had to look at our favourite movies/animations and create a basic colour script using block colours. I found screenshots on google images and looked at the Princess and the Frog and Venom as both movies have completely different plots and themes. I wanted to see the clear contrasts between colour palettes. Blues and oranges are used many times throughout the Princess and the Frog. This creates a sense of calmness and a friendly environment. Purple is also used when the shadow man is present, highlighting his magical abilities. Complementary colours purple and yellow are used in the figures that surround the shadow man, creating tension and a sense of madness.

It is clear to see that the Princess and the Frog uses much higher saturation and value in its colours than Venom. This creates a more joyous, childlike feel as its target audience is much younger than that of Venom. Venom uses many dark colours to show the villainous nature of the creatures. When lighter colours are used it is usually to highlight the character’s features, such as his large teeth and eyes and his size compared to the average man when lights are coming from behind him.

I also watched these videos on colour that were extremely interesting to me. They helped me understand hues and values more and taught me how to blend various colours, which has helped me in drawings and paintings outside of university as well as in this module. I found video 1 the most interesting as it taught me a great deal about cyan and magenta which I never thought about before. I feel as though this week, my skills have developed immensely as I have learned so many interesting things that will help me in the coming weeks.

This is not BLUE (a lesson in color theory) – YouTube

Colour Harmony – 10 Minutes To Better Painting – Episode 5 – YouTube

Colour Notes – 10 Minutes To Better Painting – Episode 7 – YouTube

Understanding Shadow Colors (Ambient Light Part 2) – YouTube

I also continued designing landscapes for my current ‘magical academia’ world. This week I added colour to my sketches.

References used: