Week 1 – Form and Shape

This week I studied the underlying form of my 3 favourite animated characters. I traced over them to find their construction forms. I chose Miguel from the Pixar movie Coco, Shaggy from the Scooby-Doo cartoons and Clementine from the Walking Dead video games. I chose these characters as they are three of my favourite animated characters both currently and from my childhood. Shaggy is more of a childhood favourite of mine, where as Miguel and Clementine are my current favourites. I also chose them as all three have completely different animation styles.

I learned that all three have similar basic forms as they all have quite rectangular body’s with cylindrical necks and limbs, however, there are a  few differences. Miguel and Shaggy have more exaggerated features than Clementine, as she has the most realistic body in terms of proportions. Miguel’s head is large and round compared to his short, slim body, where as Shaggy is much taller with longer limbs and larger feet, and his head is more in proportion to the rest of him. It is also longer and more rectangular than the other two who both have round heads. I found it interesting to see how their forms changed with the animation style.