Week 5- Crit on CV & Cover letter

Week 5 included of 5 minute one to ones with Daniel where we got to discuss our cv and cover letters. I created my cv and cover letter on Adobe Illustrator, I found the alignment hard especially with the page numbering and the bottom, I wasn’t fully happy with my layout. I have never created a cover letter before or designed my own CV so I have found this a good challenge and therefore I was happy to hear Daniels thoughts on my work. I have included the drafts that I presented to him in this tutorial below.

First CV draft-

CaoimheGreene_CV

First cover letter draft-

CaoimheGreene_Coverletter

Changes I need to make:

• reduce font size
  • include my logo about my details on top left
  • algin all text
  • add ‘Avenir Heavy’ for titles
  • write more about my work experience- what I learned and gained?

What did I learn?

The best tool to create design documents like this is Indesign. I have never used this software before but after a short tutorial from Daniel and my own experimenting I found it the perfect tool to complete my cv and cover letter with. Daniel explained that the information that I have included in my cover letter and CV were strong and it made sense which was great to hear, I wanted to ensure that I didn’t add information that wasn’t necessary. I will now be making much more use of this software in the future as I found it very very helpful! I made use of the grids and columns and I will update my blog with my new and improved CV and Cover Letter when I finish them and update them with the changes.

IXD302- CV Crit
Tagged on: