WEEK 2 – ANIMATION STRATEGIES

This week in the morning class went through an unreal engine tutorial. We started with a short menti quiz to quickly remind ourselves of the information we learnt in the recorded lecture we needed to watch before class — and then we watched the pre-prepared tutorial in the morning.

This was a practical tutorial of unreal. We were taught how to sculpt environments in the engine, and then Henry took us through how to make a custom material – so after I sculpted a simple mountain range using the landscape sculpting tools, we got to that.

Alec then gave us a series of tutorial videos on how to begin blocking out a scene on Unreal Engine

During the week I continued drawing up potential designs for the observatory and my group decided to each try blocking out what we wanted the observatory to look like.

I found the following tutorial on YouTube to try and give me an idea of where to begin for blocking. It was really helpful in making a simple easy to follow series of guidelines to follow to block out my scene.

Blocking:

Image

I could have gone into more detail by modelling rough larger props such as the tables and bookshelves, however I am very happy with the rough layout that effectively shows the observatory I want to model.