WEEK  1 – MODULE INTRODUCTION

We were introduced to the new semester and given our next modules that we would be working on. We would be focusing on 3D Digital Literacy and Animated Narratives. We were given our first assignment due for the 5th of March, where we will have to Model, UV unwrap, texture and real-time render one of the following:

• Windmill
  • Mantel Clock
  • Treasure chest & treasure
  • Sword & shield
  • Sci-Fi door
  • Old Well
  • Magic Witch / Wizard Staff

I am most drawn to the sword and shield or the wizard staff as I think I could create an interesting design for one of these.

3D Digital Literacy:

Over the Christmas break, we were given the task to download Maya and begin figuring out the controls and how to use it. We were given access to Linkedin Learning animation director George Maestri who provides a series of videos detailing how to use the Maya interface, how to do basic selections and techniques, as well as further teaching how to create, apply materials textures, and render model objects. He also describes how to begin animating.

Linkedin Learning Link: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/maya-2020-essential-training/create-high-quality-3d-models-and-animations-with-maya?u=35574164

After class on the Wednesday, Jodie taught me how to use Maya more simply and practically, as I was very overwhelmed by information from Maestri, and showed me easy techniques I could use before trying to create my first complete 3D model. They also talked me through creating a 3D star! I did not get it right the first time and had to work through a lot of trial and error.

But eventually I was able to create one that I was proud of with Jodie’s help and a tutorial:

Modeling a Star in Maya 2017: https://youtu.be/8PrOr8XNUkU

Sketch Fab Link

For the first week, we had to try to model a vase/jug on our own by using Maya.

As this was my first task properly using Maya, I encountered a lot of challenges in the beginning as my Maya software kept closing every 5-10 minutes. I also was not as familiar with the software’s modelling features and the buttons, as I would have been with the Adobe Creative Cloud software.

Alec released a series of videos where he described the process of how he would create a vase, as well as going over any techniques or buttons he would use. This was very helpful to be able to follow a similar process of making a vase model that I could follow and mimic.

I initially wanted to make an Ancient Greek Style pot, however, I did not exactly understand how to create handles, which most had, or how to create the texture. Instead, I decided to go for a plain tall vase.

Reference Image:

The reference photo I used was of a white Japanese vase which was interesting and simple enough for me to try and recreate. The image was not exactly a side profile of the vase, however I was able to use it to create an approximate version of the vase.

Finished Vase:

When creating my vase, I was initially struggling with starting as the program closed and kept deleting my progress, however I was able to eventually save my project in stages. I was confused by simple things like selection vertices, edges and scaling the model but with practice these came more easily. I am not sure about ngons completely, however I did my best to remove them.

My completed vase was very basic but I thought I did the shape and depth in my model pretty well, especially for my first attempt at a finished model. I think I will need to practice more with modelling and understanding the basics fully to produce more impressive pieces.

Reference Video:

We were given a YouTube channel that gave a tutorial that helped starting Maya and how to use many of its basic functions while creating my vase model.

• Maya Tutorial for Beginners 2020 | Introduction:

Animated Narratives:

The first assignment we were given for our Animated Narratives class was a Narrative Analysis Group Presentation for 10th February. In our Groups we had to watch and analyse the short-animated film, Lost and Found, then create a 6-10-minute presentation.

• Lost & Found | Oscar Shortlisted Stop-Motion Animation | Short of the Week:

https://youtu.be/35i4zTky9pI

We had to look at narrative in screen-based media, whether its short form animations or feature lengths films or cinematic games. We would look at the Narrative structure & relation to the Hero’s Journey, Mise-en-scène, Cinematography, Sound, Editing and ‘Discovering intent’, which is how it evokes a reaction from the audience.

Our group started by creating a Google Document and each of us analysing the animation separately. Our collective analysis was typed onto the Google Doc and we each seemed to have particular aspects of the analysis we each focused on and preferred to research.

I began researching further into the Hero’s Journey and Cinematography, as well as rewatching the animation to see where these were used.

Our group decided to split the animation into parts that could be analysed and organised what times of animation, as well as what aspects we each wanted to analyse. Neave set up a Google Slides Presentation that we could create our presentation on and edit each of our slides.

We also had a task in class to create our own Heroes Journey story from randomised sets of images.