WEEK  11– ONE TO ONE FEEDBACK TUTORIALS & ANIMATING 2D EFFECTS

For Week 11, we had one on one tutorials with one of the lecturers. I was paired with Sarah who looked over my rough animation and suggested I hold the pose before the shock and exclamation point. This, I found out, helped a lot for my animation to run more smoothly and consistently.

This week, I mainly focused on working on my rough animation and finalising my backgrounds for the animation.

Finalised Backgrounds:

My Rough Animation:

I wanted to fully get the motions correct and consistent before lining my work and colouring. I found some difficulties in awkward motions such as the run and Booyah jumping up, however I looked at reference videos such as people running and doing kip up tutorials.

Rough Animation Full -Link

I wanted to give the characters a reason to be running away, and so I wanted one of the villains we had thought of. Leticia suggested I used one of her old robot character design concepts which worked really well. I chose the one on the far right and added him zooming into the background.

Reference Videos:

I looked at videos on YouTube for inspiration and real-life action references to use for my animation. I watched these videos at a slowed down speed, drew in the keyframes for my animation and then drew the inbetweens. The following are the videos I used to reference the run and the kip up.

1. Scared walk start to run transition animation reference

2. Learn To Kip Up After Watching This Video

I also looked at action TV shows and movies to see how they looked at shots in their films and how these worked with the motion and story of the film. I used Buffy The Vampire Slayer as a reference in action poses and shots, as well as Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse’s runcycles for each of the characters.

Animation Inspirations:

For my animation, I was inspired by short animations such as

1. Diamond Jack and Burger Boss by Rachel Kim
  2. Team Sonic Racing Overdrive by Neko Productions
  3. Sunburn by Studio Meala
  4. T’AS VENDU MES ROLLERS ? Animated Short Film 2020. produced by GOBELINS

We also had a lecture on animating 2D effects in which we were taught about how to animate effects such as water, rain, fire, smoke and explosions. I found this lecture really interesting, especially learning about how things like water or rain and snow cycles can change based on weight, pressure and atmosphere. I would love to test animating fire, smoke or explosions due to how experimental you can be with them, and if I have the time, I would like to add dust when A13X runs into the shot.

I will continue working on my animation line art and movements for next week, and include the changes that others have suggested.