Character Rigging

We decided each team member will do their models animation instead, due to reaching a rough time in our schedule so we could get our work done on time.

I decided to be more experimental with my rigging to learn how to do it, as I’ve never done it before and it took me a little while to understand but with more explanation from my lectures and watching the exercise videos a few times I got a good enough hold of it. I even learned to solve my team members problems such as, little mistakes of forgetting to set it to local, how the limit constraints work, different styles of constraints to allow animating to be faster.

Example: making use of the copy constraints for parts that should follow the head for example, sharing to my team members how to use the damped track as the lecture did and more minor issues.

Animation tests:

1.Animation tests to show the rigs potential

2.The animation done prior to my final character animation

A more detailed look into my rig:

My problems/ solution:

• I was very unfamiliar with weight painting and made the mistake of altering the weight too much which eventually lead me to restart and reassigning the automatic weight, but that helped my understand how it works and not over doing it.
  • The arms didn’t end up moving the exact same way but it was such a minor issue at this stage it was better to leave it be. I asked for advice from my lecturer and I learned it was probably caused by the bones not being symmetrical due to having to move them for the IK to work. As a note for my next model it is best to do it all on one side and eventually symmetrise it.