Table

After all my research, I began to model my assets in Maya for my dining room and to begin my assets, I created a table in Maya, I wanted to create a simple table as I knew I wanted to add multiple components on top of the table. To begin, I did some research on dining tables in older mansions and a lot of them were very long and stretched, the tables were usually the main feature in a dining room and this was something I kept in mind when modelling.

Issues I faced 

As I was modelling my table, I did run into some issues with certain aspects of the table and a lot of the UV’s, I did struggle with uv’ing my assets, this is something I am definitely going to practice with in the future. The table faced some issues due to modelling errors, after speaking to Henry and Alec I was able to fix my table and get it ready to be transferred into substance.

I took a screenshot of the table before it was worked on, and as shown there was some obvious issues with the UV’s, they were bent and not aligning correctly which ended up ruining my textures so this had to get fixed before I could move on with any other assets or before it got exported to substance painter.

Here is my fixed UV’s after watching a video sent by Henry, I am getting used doing uv’s, however I do still struggle with understanding them. After finishing the modelling and uv’ing the table, I exported it over to substance painter to begin working on giving it an old, grungy, abandoned look. I wanted the table to look used and scratched up and damaged, I wanted to add a very dark brown to the table to add to the creepy look I was going for.

Chair

Moving on, I next created my chair model in Maya and started off my modelling with a very basic chair, I enjoyed this aspect of the assignment as I enjoy modelling. However after my first model I knew I wanted to add a cushion to the chair that i could add a nice texture too when in unreal or substance. I struggled again with the uv’s on my chair however, from following Henry’s original UV video, the chair UV started working the same as the table.

Model 1

Model 2 

Final model

I eventually changed up my dining chair a few times because the materials weren’t right as it was causing the chair to be shiny, however after a few tried I had my chair looking old and used which is the look I wanted to go for.

Glass

I began modelling the smaller assets on which I was placing on top of the table such as the glass, I created a very basic glass shape as I knew the attention would not be on the glass too much.

issues I faced

With the glass, I struggled to make it and not use the smooth tool as I knew it would export to Unreal so I found this quite challenging when trying not to make the glass look so blocky.

Plate

I created a very simplistic plate model in Maya and then exported it over to substance to add marble effect as I seen from my research, marble design was a very popular choice in the victorian era, I added some scratches and dust to the plate to reiterate the old and abandoned look I was going for.

Cabinet

Here is a very simple cabinet I created to place my plates etc inside, I was lucky that I had previous experience in creating bookcases.

Fork

I created a simple fork for my dining table, I just wanted the fork to be simple as it was such a small aspect of the dining table and wouldn’t really be noticed so I didn’t want to spend too much time on making it absolutely perfect.

Table cloth

I knew I wanted to create a table cloth for my dining table, after some research I noticed that a lot of victorian dining set ups usually the tables would just have runners. When creating my table cloth, I wanted to keep everything low poly and simple so i used a square polygon and shaped it accordingly.

Here is the table cloth I created for my table, however it still looked very stiff and I wanted the cloth to look used and dirty, so I took my asset over to substance painter and ensured that I added a lot of blemishes on the cloth, I wanted the cloth to look old and to have a lot of discolouration.

Final Render