I decided to design my cover page on a grid as shown above. I also added a purple highlight line beneath Hill Street inspired by the yellow highlight line used on the IDEO website homepage shown below.
I was pleased with how well I was able to incorporate the highlight line in my cover page I did, however, decide to lighten it further in the final outcome to ensure it wasn’t reducing the readability of the title (see the final outcome to the right). I used a 3 column grid structure to help me format the additional information that was required on the title page e.g. document author etc. I was very pleased with this outcome as I felt it included a lot of information while still appearing quite clean and orderly. In my final outcome, I also found a white logo for Cathedral Quarter and was able to place it on top of a purple square tieing the brand in my own brand colours. For my heading and subheading typeface, I selected Satoshi. This is a modernist sans serif typeface. Its design combines typically grotesk-style letterforms, with some characters that are quite geometrically designed. I felt this provided a slightly more unique feel to my document than Helvetica (used for body text) would have.
I tried a number of variations when creating my contents page. At first, I wanted to include larger numbers and experimented with two columns however as there are an odd number of sections I felt the outcome appeared unbalances. I was also concerned that the outcome appeared too cluttered (top left). If I had wanted to pursue a layout like this I would have needed to spread the contents over two pages and make the numbers more of a design feature and perhaps include a short sentence on what could be found in each section. As the document is not particularly long I thought this would be too much. I, therefore, decided to present the sections and page numbers in one list and remove the numbers.
When designing the Revision of History page I experimented with various ways of presenting the table. Displayed above is a variation with a white document background and a grey table background. I felt that the grey table was too dark and liked that the grey background provided a frame for the section. At this point, I decided to apply the grey background to all pages bar the cover and back.
For my project overview, project approach, the scope of work and assumptions and throughout the rest of the document I have maintained a three column grid layout with subheadings spanning one column and body text spanning two columns. For my project approach, I have presented my process in a flow diagram as I imagine most clients will not have a design background and will not be aware of the design process.
For deliverables, I have treated sections on branding, website and extras. I have greater a clear distinction between the branding and website design throughout the proposal as both utilise a slightly different process and have been priced separately as can be seen in the project pricing page shown above. In the extra’s section, I have provided an option to include hosting. I personally think it is good to include extra’s as it allows the client to see that extra’s are up for discussion however they will come at an additional cost. This is an area I feel I could expand on if I were to begin freelancing as I would build up a list of common requests that could be added to this section.
In my project pricing, I have priced each section of my process for the brand and website design separately. I was very happy with this structure as I felt it gave a clear indication of where the money was going without leaving myself open to the client requesting portions be left out. As it is part of a process I as a designer follow no sections can be removed. As I have not included a specific timeline I have included estimated hours and an hourly rate. I felt this was a good way of providing a rough guideline without having to commit to a specific timeframe as depending on hold-ups within the project this may change. I am also aware that my timeframes are only estimated however if I were to actually begin freelancing I would have the opportunity to work on multiple projects of this nature and begin to have a more accurate idea of timescales. I would at this point include a section on timeframes and remove the hourly rate from my pricing page and create a table with different pricing and deliverable options. As in this project the only extra included was a hosting service I did not feel this was necessary.
In the pricing schedule shown above, I have scheduled 3 payments throughout the project. The first following the completion of the brand, the second following the completion of the first sprint of the website and the third following the final website sprint. I feel this is a good way to divide up the cost as the client will only pay just over £1000 in each instalment. I also felt it would be good to link it to deliverables as it will encourage the client to know they are paying for work that has been completed and it will encourage me to stick to timeframes in order to get paid.
I finished with an acknowledgement and sign-off page followed by a thank you page that encourages the client to make contact to discuss any queries they may have. This sentiment would be backed up by what would be included in an email encouraging discussions and changes may be required based on the individual needs of the client.
Final Outcome: Project Proposal
Overall I am very pleased with the above outcome. I believe this document will act as a great template for any future proposals I may need to create in the future. I think the design is formal and clear and effectively guides the reader through the content. I do however Imagine that a document of this nature is something that will develop as I grow in experience.