Week 05: Intro to UI Design

Intro to User Interface Design

This week, we were also introduced to UI cards. Cards contain content and actions about a single subject. It is important that cards are immediately easy to understand, that the user can look at it and quickly take in the relevant information. This can be emphasised with different sizes of text and use of images to establish a clear visual hierarchy.

We then needed to design our own UI card for a music streaming service using information from the website, https://material.io/components/cards#anatomy

I designed a UI card for a music player.

The artist I chose was Tyler the Creator and is Album Igor as I really enjoyed the aesthetics of the cover and the minimal colours used.

For the button colour, I decided to find a complementary colour to the pink in the album cover to really make it pop.

This task helped me understand the fundamentals of UI design and how visual hierarchies work in practice. I’ve learned that User Interface Design focuses on anticipating what users might need to do and ensuring that the interface has elements that are easy to access, understand and use. This is especially important when designing for the older demographic as ‘users over 65 are 43% slower using websites than their counterparts’. Therefore since more older generations have been using online essential services, designers must provide an easy to understand and pleasant online experience.

UI brings together concepts from interaction design, visual design  and image architecture.