Blender Practise: Pull Cart.

The second object we were assigned as practise was a child’s pull cart. The skateboard was a good introduction to the editing tool and followed a similar set of rules. Generating a cube, I then transformed to a rectangle to form the basic shape of the cart. Selecting the top face I created a secondary face in the middle, leaving an outer rim to form the edge of the cart and extruding downward to generate a dip to form the inner cart. Throughout the process I switched to x-ray mode to allow me to adjust and make necessary changes to depth and object forms. I then bevelled the edges to ensure there were no sharp corners to resemble the cart reference.

I proceeded to form a loop cut near the top face, use those newly formed faces and extruded outward to form a ledge, bevelling the shape to form a rim as shown below. I used vertex select tool to alter the shape of the cart

I carried out the same process for the cartwheels as I did for the skateboards, however when it came to merging the wheels to the centre I wanted to be careful with the amount of polygons being formed. I wasn’t as strict during the making of the skateboard, so I wanted to follow the process carefully to ensure good habits moving forward. I selected each secondary line and dissolved these to create a neater structure and limit the use of polygons. Before and after shown below.

I then moved onto forming the handle, which simply consisted of a cube with extruded, upward faces that elongated the object, transforming the shapes to fit underneath the cart. The top shape was then selected, extruded, inset the faces and used “bridge edge loop” to formulate and connect the sides. To ensure the correct shape of the handle I used a modifier, “Subdivide Edges”, and shaded all necessary parts smooth along the way. I created edged loops along the handle and adjusted these faces to my liking until it produced the result. A altered cube then formed the connection between handle and cart.

The original reference image had shown a metal rod connecting the facing and back wheels, so I was set to try and create a similar arrangement. I kept with the method of dissolving any faces that wouldn’t be visible, forming a straw-like cylinder and placing it between each set of wheels. I use a present viewpoint when arranging the objects’ locations, using the wired edges filter to align and centre pieces.

I then created inner, metal connections that would hold the inner poles. I followed a similar process as before, dissolving any faces not seen and ensure the shapes were connected and parented to their respected parts.

Overall, I’m satisfied with the result of my pull cart. I need to work on presentation and limiting my polygons to ensure better results down the line, alongside presentation and using lighting sources, however these things will come with time. After practising these objects I’m a lot more comfortable with using blender as a creative tool and I’m able to go into creating objects with a lot more confidence, alongside navigating blenders interface and shortcuts.

Helpful things to remember moving forward: using modifiers (subdivision, during tutorial stage), linking materials during the colour process and setting origin to centre mass (life saver!)

Finished result: