Class:

During class this week we discussed the success criteria for Assignment 2. We were shown some examples of other people’s work and reviewed the rubric.

After this we were tasked with sculpting fruit and vegetables.

—Exercise 1: Sculpting an Apple—

-Blocking Out-

To begin I deleted the collection, added a UV Sphere and snapped the view to the x axis. After I added in the reference images, positioned them, scaled the sphere and turned on the orthographic view.

Selected the sphere and clicked on the sculpting tab. Turned on symmetry for the x axis. Clicked the ‘grab brush’ and began forming the shape of the apple. Switched to the x axis, turned on symmetry for y axis and sculpted the shape. Adjust the top and bottom of the apple to make it less cube-like and tweaked the shape of the apple.

-Details-

Turned on ‘Dyntopo’, wireframe and detailing to ‘constant detailing’. Adjusted the resolution to 10, turned on smooth shading and clicked on flood fill. Used the ‘simplify brush’ at ‘auto smooth 0.1’.

Used the ‘draw brush’ to create the dent at the top of the apple. Using a combination of the ‘draw, smooth and grab brush’ I made the bumps at the top and bottom of the apple and added the dent at the bottom. Changed the MatCap to red to make the model easier to see.

-Twig-

Added a cylinder, turned on ‘Dyntopo’, adjusted the resolution to 15, turned on smooth shading and clicked on flood fill. Added a simple deform modifier and switched it to bend.

I added an empty axis, moved it to the bottom of the twig and bent the twig. Using a combination of the ‘smooth and grab brush’ I adjusted the twig and used the simplify tool.

Positioned and scaled the twig. Added a few more creases to the top of the apple.

Final Apple 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Homework/Assignment 2:

For homework we were tasked with completing the sculpting exercises and researching and designing some ideas for Assignment 2.

—Exercise 2: Sculpting a Pear—

-Blocking Out-

Cleaned my workspace, added the references and added a UV Sphere.

Scaled the sphere to the rough size of the pear and clicked onto the sculpting tab. Using the ‘symmetry tool’ and ‘grab brush’ on the x axis, I formed the rough shape of the pear.

Switching to the y axis I repeated the same process. Adjusted the top and bottom to make it less square and tweaked the shape.

-Details-

Turned on ‘Dyntopo’ and used the ‘simplify brush’ at ‘auto smooth 0.1’. Using a combination of the ‘draw, smooth and grab brush’ I made the dent and bumps at the top and bottom of the pear.

Changed the MatCap to make it easier to see the model.

-Twig-

Added a cylinder, turned on ‘Dyntopo’, adjusted the resolution to 15, turned on smooth shading and clicked on flood fill. Added a ‘simple deform’ modifier and switched it to bend. Using a combination of the ‘smooth and grab brush’ I adjusted the twig and used the simplify tool. Positioned and scaled the twig. Added a few more creases to the top and bottom of the pear.

Final Pear

—Exercise 3: Sculpting a Bell Pepper—

-Blocking Out-

Cleaned and organised the workspace, added the references and added a UV sphere.  Rotated the reference images and scaled the sphere.

Used the ‘symmetry tool’ and ‘grab brush’ on the x-axis and y-axis to shape the bell pepper. Tweaked the shape so that it’s less square.

-Details-

– turned on ‘Dyntopo’ and used the ‘simplify brush’ at ‘auto smooth 0.1’. Refined the bumps and bends at the top and bottom of the bell pepper. Changed the MatCap.

-Stem-

Added a cylinder, turned on ‘Dyntopo’, adjusted the resolution to 15, turned on smooth shading and clicked on flood fill. Added a ‘simple deform’ modifier and switched it to bend.

Used the ‘grab brush’ and the ‘smooth brush’ to adjust the stem. Used the ‘simplify tool’ afterwards. Positioned and scaled the stem. Defined the creases of the bell pepper.

Final Bell Pepper

Assignment 2

This week I focused on collecting references of characters and things, from the internet, that I find cute.

For next week, I plan on drawing some concepts of cute things that I may want to sculpt.

Final Thoughts:

This was my first time using Blender and I feel I did quite well with the exercises. The tutorials were extremely helpful and so were the videos that we watched last week on Blender, it has helped me to better understand how to use the system.

I am excited to begin designing my concepts for Assignment 2 based on the references that I have gathered.