For week 5, we were taught character design. We learned how shapes can convey a certain type of character to an audience. We also learned of the importance of making a character’s silhouette clear and unique, this makes it easier for an audience to know what the character is doing and identify them.

For homework, we were asked to do two things. The first was to write up a character description using the prompt questions provided.

I found this step useful as it made me think more about the characters personality and how I could convey this to an audience through his design.

The second was to design a character in depth using the techniques that we learned like silhouettes, shape theory and the use of references.

I began by drawing some body and head shapes

I then played with the proportions of the facial features and designed some clothing based on police officer uniforms from the 1920’s

I chose the portions of the body and face that I liked and added the clothing I liked. I wanted a monochromic outfit with some accent colours. I settled on the blue but changed the cape to grey.

Finally, I explored different poses and facial expressions that I thought suited the characters personality.

Overall, I should use this method more often as I am very pleased with the outcome of this character design. I like how some of his character traits are apparent in his design.

References

I wanted to design a police officer type character so I gathered some images from the internet. I wanted him to dress accordingly for his work and look as if he worked night shifts mostly which would be colder than the day meaning he would need a coat of some description.