During the third week, the class broke back into the groups to discuss the story of the world. After a short time, 2 members of each group were swapped with 2 other people. I remained in group 1 along with Jordan and James but Danielle and Amber were replaced by Emma and Rhys.

The original members of group 1 described the story of the world to the new members and they added some great ideas to the story like biscuit people, a true love for the protagonist and a hierarchy system for the visual design of the characters.

Character Designs

Initial Sketches

When I first designed these characters, I only had intentions of making one until a member of the group stated that polystyrene cups are mass produced and bad for the environment. I took that information and came up with the idea of making two characters that are clones of each other and are on the ‘bad guys’ side.

I wanted these characters to look formal so after a bit of research I picked out a suit that I liked and reversed the pin stripe placement so that they looked the same but also different.

Styrofoam Twins, Sty O’Foam & Paula Styrne

Sty and Paula are your typical mob henchmen. They are clones that are easy and quick to make. If one is killed then they just make another. They don’t care much for themselves or others and they usually force the other to their demise, laughing all the while.

If they anger the coffee mob boss, Joe, they usually get their feet sealed in concrete and sunk to the bottom of the sea by the dock. Their heads usually come off and float away until they snag on something. This process usually ends with their head and body dissolving into the water and they getting replaced by another clone.

References

I created this mood board using images from the internet that I felt suited the characters. II wanted these characters to wear outfits that look similar but were different for each character. They work in an organisation so I wanted them to look formal so I researched different types and cuts of suits.