IXD 303 – Change By Design

Prologue

This book was a recommended read. Written by Tim Brown who is the CEO of IDEO, a leading design firm talks through different techniques and strategies of design that can be used at every level.

Change by Design

Watch//Read: Thinking Design w/ IDEO's Tim Brown through Living Climate  Change | Social Alterations

Change by Design: How design thinking transforms organizations and inspires Innovation

This book introduces the concept of design thinking, the collaborative process by which the designer’s sensibilities and methods are employed to match people’s needs not only with what is technically feasible but with a viable business plan.

Change by Design is not a book by designers for designers; it is a book for creative leaders seeking to infuse design thinking into every level of an organization, product, or service to drive new alternatives for business and society. Change by Design explains design thinking, the collaborative process by which the designer’s sensibilities and methods are employed to match people’s needs, not only with what is technically feasible, but what is viable to the bottom line. Design thinking converts need into demand. It’s a human-centered approach to problem solving that helps people and organizations become more innovative and more creative.

The myth of innovation is that brilliant ideas leap fully formed from the minds of geniuses. The reality is that most innovations come from a process of rigorous examination through which great ideas are identified and developed before being realized as new offerings and capabilities.

Reflection

The reason I picked up this book was the title, “Change by Design”. The name of the title stuck with me, creating change through design work is nothing new but it is something we as designers strive to achieve. Tim Brown covers very interesting points in this book and I learned a lot of helpful tips from it. Tim uses a really interesting and informative tone through out the book, so much so that I didn’t once lose interest when reading. Tim describes at the start of the book how the role of design has changed. In the past, design was an activity that followed the serious work of engineering and technology development. Today, however, we see design playing a much more engaged role in business. With Tim Browns extensive level of experience in the field he gives really great examples. What I have learnt from this book particularly the business side of things I may not need but the it is something I know I can refer to if I ever am put into a position where I may need to think about it.