With the strike that Alec, my tutor participated in going on today, I worked from home, like yesterday. When it comes to making an animatic, I have to think about the layout of the shot

Secondary actions rely on timing and must be independently animated from the main action. If a secondary action dominates over the main action it will muddle the priorities set in a scene. Adding secondary actions correctly can make a scene more lively and true to life. For example, if a dog turns its head round, you would expect the dog’s ears to be dragged by the head and flop from side to side when it stops.

Secondary animations also act as a way of indicating a characters personality. For example, if a character’s arm is shaking and balled up into a fist, that person is angry. If its dainty, the character may be a prankster or unusually happy. If it its close to its face, that implies that the person is nervous.

Alan Becker Tutorials does a great job on going in depth on these secondary actions.

8. Secondary Action – 12 Principles of Animation – YouTube

Secondary actions will always be animated independently of the main body, regardless of it being a tail, hair, or even a hand.

But different parts have to be animated differently, for example, a tail will be animated in a fast, upbeat movement, while a feather or wisp of hair will be animated in a springy way and bend more as a result.

Facial expressions are also treated as secondary actions. Either way, all these things follow arcs and squash and stretch.

Knowing that this knowledge is invaluable to the work portfolio of an animator and how it can mean the difference between a hobbyist and a professional, I became bent on doing work involving the processes.

So I started doing an Animatic for practice, of a Blacephalon, and started work on animating it.

I then discussed with the rest of the group about the story for our group project. It was decided that we should flick between several different channels showing one character in each channel fighting a pop culture property of our choice.

I plan to have my character fighting alongside a Pokémon against another wild Pokémon, so I have started work on an updated animatic.

My character, Bridget Fletcher, will fight alongside a Blacephalon against two Paradox Pokemon, Scream Tail, and Iron Bundle.

So I created an animatic of my character fighting alongside Pokemon. I looked into for part of it how a Blacephalon moved while it attacked using Mind Blown, and modified it due to the Blacephalon depicted being partially handicapped.

I also changed the characters that Bridget Fletcher, my character, was fighting against, to a Scream Tail and Iron Bundle from Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, as they were relevant to the pop culture fighting scenario that we have eventually decided upon from the generic cyclops and avian creature that was in the original storyboard.

I also had drew up some of my friend’s own characters in my own style, and using their style as a reference really made me think about my own style and how I render out their characters.