In Mike’s Module we practiced preparing a character for sculpting. I blocked out my practice character using several different primitives, such as spheres, a cube with subdivision surface applied, cylinders and cones. I then attempted to remesh the model, but I put the number of pixels for remeshing so small that it ended up crashing the software.

When I next went back to the test sculpt, I decided to base the character on one of my OCs, a robot named Selene. This was about as far as I got with the test sculpt.

The hair, ears, nose and eyes of the character are all separate from the main body.

As for the final character, sticking with using the Asanbosam of Ghana legend, I revised her design so that she didn’t have wings, figuring they would be rather difficult to sculpt and would therefore be made in a similar way to Zubat’s wings, using planes, meshed Beizer curves, and a whole lot of fiddling.

I wanted to have a design that would be easy to sculpt while also not be too boring. I changed the asanbosam’s proportions, so she was more in line with a child’s proportions, which would in theory be easy to sculpt. Her eyes are kept large to fit in line with some of Genndy Tartakovsky’s female characters and she has iron claws on her hands to compensate for the loss of her wings.

Going with the idea of the knife, I gave her a belt with a knife sheath so that she can wield it in self defence. This is the finished reference I will use to sculpt the asanbosam.

And thus, I have begun the process of blocking her out.