ixd103 week 04 reflection and tasks

Kinds of Identification

• Uniqueness
  • Value
  • Holding Power
  • Description
  • Association
  • Tone of Voice
  • Graphic excellence (quality)
  • Reputation
  • Discretion
  • Repetition (& recognition)

Design Programme

When a trademark is used to identify an organisation, it works together with other graphic elements in a design programme, each part of the plan for a visual identity. Through this a company can inform people who it is, how it is, or how it wants to be seen.

The design programme includes, first and foremost some basic elements:

Name Mark – The company’s name (your name) in a special way.

Symbol – A picture mark or a decorative abbreviation.

Colours – Selected colour(s)

Type – Selected typeface(s) Might be same typeface for word mark, or a secondary complimentary typeface.

Fifth element – An extra, undefined/decorative element. Could be a pattern or part of an icon set. An added element marking graphic value.

Pictorial and Abstract

Pictorial marks are non-abstract and iconic in nature. They depict a stylized version of something, anything at all. – a fruit (the Apple logo), mythical creature (Starbucks mermaid), an animal (Twitter bird). Some pictorial marks depict something about the industry the brand is in, but most don’t, overly literal depictions are more likely to be forgotten and are more difficult to ‘own’.

A pictorial logo may be preferrable when your brand name is a bit abstract or open to interpretation. Pictorial marks can also be effective if your brand name lends itself to a specific image. Jaguar and Apple are good examples of this as their symbols are visual short hands for their brand names. This makes both symbols and brand names more memorable.

Abstract marks usually consist of very simple geometric shapes – circles, rectangles, triangles etc. Abstract marks lend themselves to brand names that are more descriptive because their logo just needs to be recognisable, whereas their name explains what they’re all about.

Combination Marks

Combination marks are a wordmark combined with either a lettermark or a symbol. These are versatile and can use the symbol or the wordmark in isolation as well.

Vic Bell

Scratch

After researching Bell’s work, I found his brand work for ‘Scratch’ to be interesting. I like how he shows his progress, and considers different colours, different layouts and also combining ideas. I like Bell’s work for this as it’s very colourful and bold. I like the visual marque of the falling Tetris type pieces as a possible extra for backgrounds as this keeps consistency with the overall design and aesthetic of the brand design.

Sketch notes

Sketchnotes are rich visual notes created from a mix of handwriting, drawings, hand-drawn typography, shapes, and visual elements like arrows, boxes and lines. Sketchnotes are visual maps. Everything you need can be created from basic elements and you can see how things can be constructed, crafting most things using these. The sketchbooks aren’t about being a good artist, they’re about being a good thinker. It conveys the ideas to others.

The 5 Basic Elements

Everything you want to draw can be created with these 5 elements.

• Circle
  • Square
  • Triangle
  • Line
  • Dot

Sketching for UX & BIZ

• Lines and Dividers
  • Shapes
  • Compound Shapes
  • Objects and Icons
  • Shadow and Highlights
  • Type Styles
  • Containers
  • Layouts
  • Structure

Today’s Task

01 – Sketch the following objects using the various drawing techniques talked about during today’s lecture.

• iPad
  • Laptop
  • Camera
  • Sketchbook
  • Pencil
  • Browser
  • USB Stick
  • Paper
  • Television
  • Radio

Summary/Reflection

I found learning about Sketch noting will help with future sketches as it’s supposed to simple and quick, which is good for me as I tend to overcomplicate work. I really liked looking in Vic Bell’s work and think I will keep it in mind when creating my visual marque. Moving forward I want to get a move on with my visual marque and designing as well as focusing on getting my blog up to date more.

This Week’s Task

• Research visual marques
  • Design a symbolic visual marque

Visual Marques visual research

Visual Marque Sketches

For my visual marque I think I’m going to do the exclamation point idea, had it sit inside the ‘L’. I think this will translate well as it’s simple but effective into the monogram design.