This week in class, we were shown a series of tutorials on how to create a trim sheet, as well as how to create a brick wall by baking textures. These were relatively easier than they looked and were worth the effort. Moreover, as our environment is run down and old, I decided to create a texture that had damaged stone bricks with moss and mould. Before I brought this to the likes of Blender or Substance Painter, I did some quick sketches and design concepts prior to the session. This was to efficiently plan out what I wanted as an outcome. Not only that but doing so would reduce anxiety and uncertainty of what I was going to do with the design itself. Below are a handful of drawings that I experimented with…

Here are the current designs I have come up with and although I really like them all, I am gearing more towards number one as it not only fits the room but would allow for more detail and textures to be added. In comparison to number 4/5 these probably won’t need further sculpting, but instead, rely solely on the texturing process. I want to be able to add a decent amount of detail, whilst also allowing the wall to stand out, thus number one is perfect for the job.

Brick wall- final outcome

Here is the final outcome of the wall concept that I have now incorporated into 3D form. I am really happy with this result as it fits the theme of our environment and the quality of the piece itself is comes across as professional and well built. It definitely matches the realistic style I was going for. From now on, I have decided to be a lot more patient and attentive with my 3D modelling to allow the quality to flourish, as seen here. I will further continue to keep this up to improve my work and my style.

Concepts for the telescope design

Below are some concepts that I began drawing this week, starting with a quick sketch of the form of the telescope. After this sketch, I decided to change the features and tweak until I got the design that was desired. It was then down to the colour scheme and because our theme isn’t fantasy based, I decided it would be in the best interest to keep the traditional brass-like scheme that was originally planned.

The sketch

Telescope form improvements

Colour scheme considerations

After finishing these concept design panels, I sent them to my group in order to receive constructive criticism. One of my group members, Simas’ advised that maybe we should make it look less fantasy-like as the concepts I created came off quite toy-like. I really appreciated this honesty, and because of this, we collaboratively came to the conclusion to abandon this design. Despite this, I still really like these concepts and maybe in the future, I will reuse them for something else!

Overall feedback of these concepts

The final concept design

This drawing was made by Simas’ and this was the design that he came up with. I felt that this suited our theme better, therefore used it as a reference for our final 3D model for the telescope. There are a few things that  I might simplify down for modelling and texturing, but apart from this, the concept itself was inspired by this drawing.

Telescope Progress

This week, I have begun to model one of the most important aspects in our project- the telescope. Due to it being important, I have decided to take my time, be patient and work properly on this model. Below are some photographs of what I have been working on so far and this includes the modelling itself through tools such as extruding, multi-cut and using booleans. In addition, I have also included the images of the UV process of this model-these aren’t quite finished here and I will continue to improve them for texturing.

Continuing to model

UV processes

Finishing up UV layouts

References/inspiration for my telescope model:

Speed Model of a Vintage Telescope | Autodesk Maya to Element 3D – YouTube

This video is something that really inspired me with the telescope model and the textures that I will soon create. I love the techniques, tools and processes that this person uses to create their model as it inspires me to improve to a similar level. Moreover, the way that the model is textured in this video is very interesting as they use a software I haven’t used before called 3D Element and then they transfer this to After Effects for further editing. The outcome of this is very impressive and definitely has given me a new perspective of the variety of different programs that utilise 3D models. Ultimately, I will take into consideration how this person has modelled and textured their model to think more about the methods I will use, and maybe one day I’ll also try practising collaboratively with these programs.

Reference Images

603028a0629b92001c625767.jpg (774×386) (cloudinary.com)

100076105-zodiac-astrological-symbol-horoscope-the-sun-and-the-moon-astrology-mystical-coloring-vector.jpg (450×450) (123rf.com)

On The Square Emporium – Belfast Based Antique/Vintage/Urban Salvage/Furniture Emporium