IXD302: Pitch User Research

Before going further into this project, I thought it was important to research more into potential users of the product. To recap, I am pitching a presentation helper app which records users giving a presentation and uses AI to provide feedback.

Survey

I created a survey on Google Forms asking the following questions:

• Do you/have you ever struggled with public speaking?
  • Which of these side effects, if any, have you experienced when giving a presentation?

Options: Sweating, Shaking, Increased heart rate, Dry mouth, Difficulty breathing, Nausea, Headache, Stiff muscles, None of the above.

• Coming up to the time of the presentation, do you experience any of the following long-term effects?

Options: Loss of sleep, Increased stress, lack of appetite, Depression, Anxiety, Panic attacks, None of the above

Would you benefit from an app that records your presentation and provides feedback through Artificial Intelligence?

You can view the survey here:

https://forms.gle/r6RcdC3mRqrqbq3F7

Survey Swap

As well as asking my family and friends, I used the website Survey Swap to find a range of respondents. I have used this in the past and it’s a great tool to find out about your users. I got 20 responses in less than 24 hours, and I found out a lot.

Analysing the Results

The first question was “Do you/have you ever struggled with public speaking?”. 95% of people said yes, sometimes or they used to and only 5% said no. This backs up my research that fear of public speaking is very common and a lot of people struggle with it or have in the past.

The second question was about the side effects people experience while giving a presentation. The top 3 answers were an increased heart rate, sweating, and shaking. This has given me the idea of adding a section in the app that helps people manage symptoms like this.

The third question was more long-term effects coming up to the time of the presentation. The most answered was increased stress, lack of appetite, and loss of sleep. These are all things that affect a person’s well-being and quality of life. Therefore, it shows me how important it is to help people who struggle with this, so it doesn’t have such a negative impact on their life.

Lastly, I asked if users would benefit from an app that gives feedback on their presentation skills using AI. 60% said yes, 40% said maybe and no one said no. Therefore, this shows that people would use it and that it could be beneficial to them. I feel that there is a gap in the market for something like this. Especially since it not only gives feedback but also gives advice on how to deal with these anxieties and improve.

After doing these surveys and looking at the results, I am even more excited to get started with the pitch. I hope to show the listeners that this will be a good product which will help lots of people.