IXD302: Future jobs and oppertunities week reflect

This week there are many online sessions to help boost skills and recieve advice on transitioning into a work environment. I thought this could be very beneficial so I registered for multiple events.

Supercharge your interview skills

One of the events I attended today was “Supercharge you interview skills”. This was very informative and it ties in with what we are learning this semester.

Types of interview:

• Panel
  • Competency based
  • Strength based
  • Group
  • Assessment centre
  • Video
  • Phone
  • Automated/simulated

Learning about the types of interview I may come across was beneficial as it gives me a better idea of what to expect and what to prepare for.

Preparation

• Research the company: This includes, their website, job advertisement, social media, news articles, history, plans, culture, size etc. This shows the interviewer your interest in the company and that you have put time into finding out about them.
  • Job documents: Print and read your application form, job description etc. We were told that these will include big hints on what questions you may be asked.

Interview Questions

Some of the tips we were given include:

• Look at job descriptions to give you clues of what questions may be asked
  • Write out possible questions and draft answers
  • If they ask about weaknesses, turn it into a possitive. For example, how you overcome it.
  • You can give examples that arent work based e.g. sports, clubs etc.

Here is a list of common interview questions:

I can use this list to prepare how I could answer these to the best of my ability.

We were also told about the STAR technique:

Prepare: Listen to the question, dont rush and take your time to give the best answer

Situation: Describe a specific event (who, what, when, where)

Task: Explain the task and highlight specific challenges (deadlines and issues)

Action: Actions taken to complete the task. This highlights desirable traits to the employer

Result: Outcome/reflection

I found this technique very useful as it shows how you should format your answer to get every point across.

Questions to ask the interviewer

• The organisation and future development
  • Work and training (what does an average day look like?)
  • What projects you would be involved in
  • Who would you be working with?
  • Prospects: what career paths have other students taken
  • How long will you have to wait to hear from them

These are beneficial to keep in mind as its a good thing to have questions prepared.

We were told about a tool on the Ulster University website that can help with interview skills. It is the interview 360 tool mock interview. I will be sure to use this to further improve my interview skills and to practice different questions.

Interview 360 

Overall, I found this event incredibly beneficial and I will be sure to use what I have learnt in the future. I already feel more prepared and confident when it comes to doing an interview.