IXD104: Creating more screens (final travel app)

Polar Desert Screen

I wanted to include another example showing a different desert. I decided create the polar desert screen as I felt this was the most contrasting from the arid desert I had already created. I began by creating a moodboard which gave me inspiration for my illustration.

I also chose a colour pallet with colours that worked well together and also to provide consistency.

(Day)

(Night)

Once I had my inspiration and colours chose, I sketched out an idea of how I wanted the illustration to look. This gave me a better idea of where I should use the colours and what layout would work.

I then created the digital version in Figma. I am happy with the outcome. I think that the more experience I have with illustrating, the easier it becomes. The only things I changed for the day and night screens was the colour, the moon and replacing clouds with stars. I like the idea of using the same illustration for the day and night as it is a smooth transition when using the day/night switch. I also made it the same style and feel as the arid desert screen for consistency.

Polar desert screen:

One thing I did change was the colour of the text on the “polar day” screen as it had a white background. Overall, I am happy with how these screens turned out and I think the illustration style is visually appealing.

Choose Journey Screen

This is the screen that comes after the home screen. Users can decide to take a walk through all the deserts or choose a specific one. I already knew what layout I wanted for this screen as I had already made a digital wireframe.

I already had illustrations made for both the arid and polar deserts, therefore, I just resized these and placed them in the box. However, I still had to create illustrations for the semi-arid and coastal deserts. You can see the process below, from creating mood-boards and choosing colours:

Semi-arid illustration:

Illustration:

Coastal Desert Illustration:

Illustration:

Next I had to add these to the screen. I kept the layout of this very simple so it’s easy to understand and navigate. I put the names of each desert alongside an icon of a desert to add some detail.

Final Screens:

PDF of screens:

final screens pdf