IXD103- Interface Inventory Task

This task involved creating an interface inventory on a chosen website. This includes all the interactive elements throughout e.g. buttons and navigation. I decided to stick with the Audible website as this is the brand I chose to create brand guidelines for last week.

Benefits of creating an interface inventory:

• It shows how important it is to develop a cohesive design system
  • Can be used to help set up a pattern library
  • Ensures consistency
  • Responsive design

Often, the fewer button styles there are, the better the design. This is because it means users know what to expect and how things work.

Interface Inventory for “Audible”

Overall, I think Audible do a good job at keeping their website consistent. For example, they use the same colours for buttons and the same typefaces. The colour of the text changes depending on the background colour but this is needed for readability purposes. They tend to use capital letters for navigation which seems to remain consistent throughout different pages. One thing I did notice is that the two links for “contact us” were different colours and one of them included “24-7”. Therefore, to improve, they could make them both the same to make things more consistent. I feel that they have just the right amount of interactive elements as they have stuck to what is essential.

I found this task useful as it enabled me to see all the different elements used in one place, making it easier to see what did and didn’t work.