IXD103- 1 Week Brand Task

Pizza Moon

This was a one-week project which consisted of developing a brand for a pizzeria. The first step was to come up with a tone of voice and a story for this brand.

Word Bank:

• Fresh
  • Quality
  • Eco-friendly
  • Caring
  • Modern
  • Ethical
  • Quick
  • Easy
  • Affordable
  • Passionate
  • Hand-crafted
  • Welcoming

Bio:

“Our first store opened in 2017 in Newtownabbey. Since then, we have extended to other parts of the UK and are growing every year. We are passionate about providing quality pizza while helping out our planet in any way possible. We use recycled and reusable packaging in all our in-dining and food deliveries. We want to deliver quality pizzas along with our message so we can have a positive impact on the world together, all while enjoying good food.”

Updated bio:

After receiving some feedback, I made some changes to the bio. I made it shorter and more to the point to make it more interesting to read. I focused on talking about how the company are passionate about saving the planet as this makes them stand out and it will intrigue people.

“We are passionate about providing quality pizza while helping out our planet in any way possible. We use recycled and reusable packaging in all our in-dining and food deliveries. We want to deliver quality pizzas along with our message so we can have a positive impact on the world together, all while enjoying good food.”

Short Bio:

“Passionate about providing quality pizza while helping out our planet.”

Colours:

This is the colour pallet used throughout the brand. It is important for me to stick with these colours in every area to remain consistent.

I chose this as it has a mix of bright eye-catching colours along with a dark blue and white. These will work well together and create contrast. Yellow comes across as warm and friendly. Blue represents trust, dependability, and confidence. White can be used to add simplicity.

Wordmark:

The typeface I chose was “Purple Purse”. I think it comes across as friendly. It is also easy to read and stands out. I put the blue moon in place of one of the “O’s” in “moon”. This is the same moon from the logo which creates consistency. This gives the typeface more personality, making it more unique and attention grabbing. I chose the name “pizza moon” because the company’s passion is saving the planet and we associate the moon with our planet.

Logo:

I began by sketching out some of my initial ideas:

Originally, I was going to go for a full pizza with a slice taken out of it. However, I wasn’t 100% happy with how the sketches looked so I started trying other things. I decided to take the single slice of pizza at a 45 degree angle and place it over top of a crescent moon.

I tried out multiple variations of this to see which was the best. I tried out different colours and stroke weights.

This is the final logo:

I think the logo is effective as it can be used as a shorthand for the name. It uses geometric shapes, making it simple. This means that when the logo is reduced in size, details won’t get lost. The stroke around the circles makes them appear more 3D and stand out. I made them bigger, so they went outside the triangle. I think this makes it more interesting and abstract. The dark moon makes the pizza stand out and adds a nice contrast.

Digital touchpoint:

The colour pallet remains consistent throughout the app and other aspects of the brand. The white background adds simplicity and makes the other content stand out. The areas which I wanted to draw users’ eyes to use bright eye-catching colours. For example, the call to action buttons and the “todays special” area.

I went for a minimal layout as it makes the app easier to navigate. It also makes it more visually appealing as it isn’t overcrowded with unnecessary details. The font used is PT serif. I chose this as its simple and easy to read.

Physical touchpoint:

To create this, I downloaded a pizza box template. This allowed me to design the full box. I wanted to keep the top quite simple with the logo. The background is white which makes the logo stand out. I used a light blue colour for around the sides. This colour has been used in other aspects of the brand which keeps everything consistent. I included some text on the side of the box including, a phone number and text directing people to the app.

Final product:

For the final pages I used colours from the colour pallet of the brand, making it appear consistent and visually appealing.

App Update:

I made a few changes to the app to make it more professional and realistic. For example, I added images and text.

Overall, I found this project enjoyable. It allowed me to be creative and come up with different aspects of a unique brand. I found it hard choosing an initial idea at first as there was multiple directions I could go in. However, once I made that decision, I had more confidence that it would work. Having just one week to complete it pushed me to be organised and manage my time so I could produce a good piece of work at the end of it. I will take everything I have learnt to this with me in future projects.