IXD101- My Manifesto

My Manifesto

Definition: A manifesto is a declaration of your intentions, motives and goals. It can include your principles that you stand by, your beliefs and how you want to live your life.

This can be used to motivate and inspire you to achieve your goals.

What does a manifesto mean to me?

To me, a manifesto can inspire me to be the best version of myself and to trust the process when things go wrong or get hard. It can be a reminder of why i’m doing what i’m doing and find meaning in my work. In a manifesto, it is important to put across your beliefs and motives.

My beliefs:

I believe that anyone can do anything they put their mind. If your passionate about something, you should do everything you can to achieve it. Being passionate is the way to success. You should take risks and not follow what everyone else is doing, don’t be afraid of making mistakes because that’s how you grow.

Existing examples:

“Create a life you cant wait to wake up to”

“Do your future self a favour and work hard today”

“Be in love with your life every minute of it”- jack Kerouac

“All of our dreams can come true, if we have courage to pursue them” -Walt Disney

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t, you’re probably right” -Henry Ford

My Motivations/Motives:

I want to get into this industry because it is ever expanding and there are endless possibilities. It is a place I can explore my imagination and creativity all whilst designing material that can benefit so many people.

When you need to pick yourself back up:

Everyone makes mistakes. You must learn to take advantage of them, learn something, grow as a person and use It to help others. Even when you lose motivation, do something every day, even if its small, because it will bring you one step closer to your goal.

“Make your tragedies a work of art”

‘A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new” -Albert Einstein

Manifesto examples

De Stijl

This means ‘the style’ in Dutch. It is an art movement created in 1917 by two pioneers of abstract art: Piet Mondrian and Theo Van Doesburg. It was in response to the horrors of World War 1

This movement shaped design into what it is today. This can be seen in many art forms from digital design to architecture. “Their approach was to achieve maximum simplicity and abstraction in painting, product design, and architecture” “Idea of harmony and order”

Characteristics:

• Use of primary colours with black and white
  • Simple
  • Straight lines, squares, rectangles
  • Asymmetry

I like this art style because it uses bright primary colours which would grab people’s attention. It has a simple layout. From a design point of view, using a layout in this style would be easy to understand and navigate. An example of how it is used today is shown below.

Dadaists

This was an art movement that formed during the first world war in Zurich in negative reaction to the horrors of the war.

Their aim was to destroy traditional art values and irrationalise them. Therefore, they created new art to replace the old.

Characteristics:

• Humor
  • Nonsense
  • Artistic freedom
  • Emotional reaction
  • Irrationalism
  • Spontaneity

I like this style because they based it off being unique from anything people had seen before which is something all artists strive to do. It encourages people to pull away from the norm and be creative. However, some may argue that it can be hard to grip what the artist is trying to put across.

Surrealist

This art movement was founded by the poet, Andre Breton. It was greatly inspired by Dadaism.

‘Surrealists believed insanity was the breaking of the chains of logic’. Therefore, through their art they created imagery that was impossible in reality.

Characteristics:

• Dream-like scenes and symbolic images
  • Bizarre assemblages of ordinary objects
  • Techniques to create random effects
  • Visual puns
  • Distorted figures
  • Child- like designs

I like this style because there are endless possibilities, and everyone can interpret the art in their own way.

My Manifesto Ideas

“Passion is the key to success”

• When you get lost in work and lose motivation this can inspire you to regain that passion you had in the beginning in order to succeed.
  • Reminder that if you are passionate about something, it wont feel like work.

“Rebel against the norm”

• It coincides with my belief of taking risks and not being afraid of making mistakes.
  • Reminds me to be unique in what I create. This will encourage me to come up with my own ideas. This is incredibly important as a designer.

“No-one ever made a difference by being like everyone else” -P.T.Barnum

“You only get one shot at life, aim carefully/know your aim”

• Play on words.
  • It encourages people to make the right choices in life and follow your dreams.

Do something every day, big or small, that brings you one step closer to your goal

Have no wasted days/waste no days. Even if you just write one sentence or learn one new thing, you are one step closer to your goal.

• Reminder that even on bad days you are still moving towards your goal because doing something is better than doing nothing at all.

Final choice: “Rebel against the norm.”

Designing my manifesto

Inspiration

I like these “half and half” designs as it adds an interesting contrast. This would suit my manifesto because one side could be simple and black and white. Whilst the other side could involve more colour and more visually appealing. This side would represent breaking away from the ‘norm’.

When designing my manifesto, I am going to keep the ‘Art Deco’ style in mind. I like the characteristics of this style which include, bold shapes and a high contrast in colours.

My Sketch Ideas:

Chosen sketch:

This will have a nice contrast with the dark and light sides. Its simple and gets the point across. When designing it digitally, I want the ‘M’ at the end of ‘Norm’ to be disintegrating to symbolise not going by the norm and the importance of being unique. The disintegrating pixels from the ‘M’ will be bright and colourful which will add a pop of colour to the darker side (it will use the same colour pallet as the light side.) The light side will be designed with brighter colours.

Colour Scheme Ideas: