IXD302 CV and Cover Letter : Research and Development

CV

What is a CV?

I learned from Week 2’s lecture that a CV is a concise, formal document that summarises your education, skills and all your relevant experience.

It is a document that should be easy to read and referenced and most importantly explain who you are.

What to Include

I developed a good understanding of what to include in my Cv from Week 2’s lecture…

What Not to Include

I also developed a good understanding of what not to include in a CV from the lecture…

Among other things like a picture of yourself which is common to have in America but for UK and Ireland you just wouldn’t.

How should it Look?

I put together a Pinterest board of different cv designs in order to better understand how to go about styling mine that you can find here.

I tried as hard as I could to avoid adding cv’s with competency indicators. Why are so many of them like that?! There were a lot of super cool, quirky looking designs that I really liked but and maybe would go with a similar type. of outside the box design further along in my career but I think if I go about it that way now applying for internships, theres most likely no chance for me getting to the next stage.

I also looked online to find guides and examples of Cv’s specific to Ux design.

Here are a few different articles I looked at…

Writing the Content

Once I felt confident enough that I knew how to approach putting my CV together I focused first or simply writing out the content to be included.

Here’s the content that I wrote out…

Over the summer I tried to get a part time job to keep me busy. I didn’t get any ware in the end but it does mean that I had a bit of my content already written which was handy.

Sketching the Layout

The next step was to plan my cv’s layout. I  did did a few super simple layout sketches and went with the one I liked best.

I chose to use  the typography and multi coloured blocks of my brand to better reflect who I am.

Illustrator

Once I had a plan I went into illustrator and put it all together…

Getting the alignment right and assembling all the blocks was a tedious and painstaking process but it was well worth it in the end I think.

For the contact icons I was able to use the email and mobile ones I designed for my business card but I had to design a new icon for my portfolio site. I used varying weights and sizes of bio sans font for everything except my brand logo which is Pie Pie with slight adjustments to the l and f. I also snuck my pink L and orange F into the blocks.

Cover Letter

What is a cover letter?

I learned from Week 2’s lecture that a cover letter is essentially an introduction to the person receiving your application and a chance to explain why you want to wok for their company specifically. It’s also an opportunity to summarise the things you are good at, why you’d be a good fit for the role and some of your aspirations that align with what the opportunity has to offer.

How do I write one?

This is what I learned about how to go about writing a cover letter from week 2’s lecture….

Who am I writing my cover letter for?

In week one I put together examples of software companies and firms that I would love to work for.  I am an incredibly big fan of Nintendo and part of me has always wanted to work there since I was a little kid. I have a particular interest in working in Ux/Ui design for the gaming industry and so I decided to put Nintendo on my list as a sort of aspirational goal.

I just happened to check their careers page one day and they were offering a ux internship in the area of information architecture in Frankfurt Germany. They listed Interaction Design under the relevant studies and as soon as I saw that I met the requirements I decided to start writing a cover letter for them.

When writing a cover letter it is important to you understand what the company are about and that your core values align with theirs so I decided to take a look at Nintendo’s mission statement as well as their core values so that I can right a really strong cover letter showing that I really understand and care about what they do and I would be very grateful to be given an opportunity to work there.

Writing my cover letter

This my first cover letter of many cover letters I will be writing to companies applying for their placement roles over the the course of Year2. Because of this, I had to consider composing this first cover letter in a way that only a paragraph or two would need changing from place to place.

I composed my cover letter in Microsoft Word starting by making a plan for what each paragraph will cover. The first paragraph is my initial introduction and reason for applying. Paragraph two is where I talk about the relevant skills I’ve acquired from my course so far. The paragraph after that is where I talk about the transferable skills I acquired from things like youth theatre and orchestra. The paragraph after that is where I do my gushing about Nintendo and what it is specifically that I love about their work. Then the paragraph after is where I talk about what Ui/Ux design means to me or rather, how I design, and then the final paragraph is where I end it on a super nice note.

Here is the cover letter I wrote for Nintendo…

The only paragraph that I would’t be able to carry over other applications is the one specifically about Nintendo. Since the goal of this first cover letter isn’t just to write a killer one for Nintendo but also to write one that can easily be used by me as a template for any other placement roles in the future, I think this was a success.

Sketching Layout

Similar to my Cv I sketched out a simple layout in a similar styling to what I have done for the CV so that they pair together nicely.

Illustrator

The next step was to load up illustrator and digitise…

It was a similar process to the cv so I has pretty much the same experience where I painstakingly shaped the blocks and had to make sure that all the lines were even.

Once again though, to me it was worth the time and effort.

Thoughts

I’m really happy with what I’ve written for my cover letter and hopefully my being smart about the structure means I’ll be able to use it as a sort of template for future job applications. Design wise I think both documents reflect my me and my brand really well and together they look consistent. There’s still room to improve though and I’ll be able to find out what things I should change or work on to make them better in this weeks feedback session.