IXD103 Week 1: Travel App Icon Reproduction Task

This we we were asked to try reproducing a handful of given examples of travel related icons as kind of ‘master- apprentice’ exercise. The idea is that the best way to learn how to do something yourself is to reproduce something that already exists. This way we can get a better understanding of how to go about designing icons.

Examples

My Reproductions

Thoughts

The icons I chose to reproduce where the ones that I thought would be easy enough to replicate but would still provide a little bit of a challenge in figuring out how to go about certain areas. I did this in Figma and since I mainly use illustrator, this was a good chance for me to get more familiar with how to do things on there.

Overall I think I did a pretty decent job. I made sure to keep a consistent line with for all of them used a drop to match the exact colours that were used in the originals. Getting some of the shapes just write was a bit tricky and took a bit of trial and error to get right. I didn’t add shading to the first 3 since I thought it wouldn’t make much difference and I had know idea how to go about it and I wasn’t sure how to get smooth, symmetrical curves on either side of the toothpaste so it ended up a tiny bit angular, but I think it looks fine. Those were the only really noticeable differences I think.

I think from this exercise I’ve learned that making icons isn’t as complicated as I thought and now the idea of designing my own set is much less daunting.