Visual marques can be referred to as logos. Some people might get confused between a visual marque and a monogram. A monogram is 2 letters combined into one symbol. A visual marque is more vector based, representing the brand as an image. Many designers have their own visual marques in which their target audience knows them by. Visual marques help to provide brand recognition therefore, helping the customer to identify the company’s brand.

Visual marques can be created using the individual’s face itself. Many designers have their own appearance to be their visual marque. Some might have features of themselves, personality, some might base on their brand values. I will be creating designs for the visual marque based on my day-to-activities, hobbies, interests, history about my background and brand values.

Pictorial and abstract

The term pictorial is defined as an image that can be displayed as an image without displaying the word. It is an image already recognized without the help of the wordmark. A great example could be target. Target is designed liked the real-life archery board which everyone knows. Therefore, the logo that target visual presents does not need a wordmark.

Abstract logos are displayed in colorful variations. Abstract colours use geometric shapes (just like some monograms) to display their logo.

My approach

My aim is to create a simple and meaningful marque which represents my brand.

I have provided some designs which I think represent my day-to-day activities.

Some designs to show my appearance:

Some designs to show my hobbies and interests:

I then take the best design out of the list and refine the image more.

Final marque:

Wordmark updated.

I felt that I could make the wordmark even simpler and more meaning for my brand.