Science Lab – Reflection

This project was definitely a challenge for me. Unreal Engine was definitely difficult to get a grasp on. I found it very hard to find where I went wrong and why when I would run into problems, and found nodes very confusing, and still do. I would look up tutorials to get certain effects and put the nodes in place but wouldn’t quite know why I was doing it.

However, our assets look so good in Unreal Engine, it was definitely worth the effort. 3D modeling and texturing is not my strong suit but I definitely felt proud when I finally got my syringe to look how I wanted it to. I was very pleased with how it turned out with the moving, emissive green liquid. I think my team worked really well overall too – everyones’ final video looked great, and I think everyone really nailed the style we were going for.

I was happy with the models I made for this project, however I do wish I had taken on maybe one big, more complex model. Many of my models were quite small accessories. While it would have been unrealistic of me to get it done with the time I had this semester, if I were to do this again, I would like to challenge myself to make one bigger more ornate 3D model. While 3D modeling didn’t interest me at all in the start of this course, I enjoy the feeling of it all coming together when it’s fully rendered.

One thing I would definitely work on for next time is my communication with my team. I was very busy outside of Uni so I didn’t communicate with my team as much as I would have liked to, and feel like I probably missed out on some valuable feedback, or could have bounced around some great ideas with my group members, had I been a bit more online.