Professional Practice Week 2 – Looking at Showreel Examples

This week I was tasked with looking at a few showreels that have good editing or title cards.

First, I looked for a few showreels from Irish friends and acquantances who work in animation. This showreel is by a friend named Lucy Toner, who specialses in 2DFX.

Lucy’s showreel is clean cut and focused on her area of specialty, 2DFX. It clearly shows her strengths and skills. The title card has a recognisable logo at the start and end and has her contact information clearly presented.

The next showreel is from an Irish studio, Studio Meala.

Given it is a showreel for a studio rather than a singular person, it is longer than a regular showreel would be – it is showcasing more peoples’ works, and a wider range of styles and projects. I think this showreel does a great job of showcasing the studio’s unique styles of 2D animation. The upbeat music syncs well with the showreels content. While there is a variety of styles, each segment clearly shows the specific style of animation the studio is capable and it is clear what type of animated projects they would be suited to.

Next, I had a look online for some showreels from other artists from around the world.

I found this showreel I really liked by Taqibunn on Youtube.

I really loved the art style of this animator. This showreel shows animations from different stages of completion – some animations are fully coloured whereas others remain as just linework, however each segment shows great skill and movement. No segment is too long – it shows just enough movement from each animation to understand the artist’s skill. The title card for the showreel is simple and clear, featuring the year of the reel’s publication and the artist’s username.

I also took a list at this showreel from lemoncholy on YouTube.

This showreel was shorter than others I looked at, but it doesn’t need much more. The artist’s style is very clear from the clips that are shown. The artist’s title card also works in a piece of animation for the showreel, without distracting you from their information. Their elegant linework and movement comes across great in this showreel.