This week our lecturers went round seeing our progress and offering any support needed with our assignments. Alec helped me with making sure my UVs were completed for my dinosaur, particularly the spikes and teeth. Once these were looked over and everything looked okay, I made the high poly a live surface and conformed the low poly with it in preparation for exporting.

I took my dinosaur into substance to add the textures. I added a green/yellow fill layer for the main body colour. On top of that I added a dirt base gradient and changed the colour of the dirt to a yellow/beige colour to make it seem like the dinosaur is covered in sand. I did this because the environment for my dinosaur will be a sandpit. Instead of knocking over buildings, like Godzilla would, my dinosaur would be knocking over wooden play blocks for kids.

I added the dirt base on top of the spikes and the teeth as well, to show how messy he has gotten playing in the sand. On top of the spikes I added a stylised bone texture, to make the spikes seem more realistic and make them look less like plastic and more like bone. I picked the colour purple after going onto the Adobe colour wheel and looking for the complementary colour to match the green I chosen. Purple came up and I think it looked good with the green so I settled with that.

After this I then created a sandpit environment for the dinosaur. I created a sand base in Maya, along with a small shovel that would be buried in the sand. I used the cube models as the wooden blocks that the dinosaur would kick around. After bringing the assets into substance, I used a wood texture on the blocks, changing the wood colour slightly on a few of the blocks so they wouldn’t all look the same and can stand out from each other. I added the dust and dirt smart materials, and after changing the colour of the dirt I was able to make it seem like the blocks had sand residue all over them. I did the same for the plastic shovel, to make it seem that it has lots of sand just gathering on it after its been used.