This week we were introduced to a process called topology. This would become useful if I had sculpted a model in blender but wanted to export it into Maya in order to rig the character. Before rigging I’d need to do topology for the character to reduce the poly count. If the poly count was too high it would be too difficult to animate the character, this is why topology is important for bringing the poly count down and making it much easier to animate the model.

For this class, we used the same elephant blender file that we worked on for a tutorial previously, and practiced having a go at doing the topology for the elephant. I didn’t find topology too hard to understand, I understand the importance and why its needed. From looking at reference pictures and from the tutorial I know that the topology flows different around the characters eyes and mouth, compared to the rest of the body.

I thought that topology was kind of relaxing and sometimes satisfying when I get the topology lined up and connected perfectly.