In week 2 of digital literacy, we got a more in depth look at Maya during class. Mike had created a milkshake cup on Maya in class. I didn’t want to work along with him on Maya as it could distract me from what Mike was doing so I watched along first before doing any modelling. After Mike had finished he then asked us to have a go at it. I had only remembered some stuff and asked Mike for some guidance on the milkshake cup, in particular how to add the milkshake inside the cup.  I am aware I’m going to need to view more tutorials on blackboard, maybe a few times on some of them in order to get some of the Maya stuff into my head and to develop my ability with the software. After class when I got home, I decided to start my milkshake cup from scratch with help from the uploaded tutorial on blackboard. I followed the tutorial and understood what was being done. This helped me to get some of the aspects of Maya into my head and hopefully will help me remember details for future modeling.

Aside from the milkshake I worked on, I have also been doing concept work for “Assignment 1 – Intro to 3D modelling”. For this assignment we have been given a list of 3D assets to pick and create for our assignment submission. I picked the old well model. I picked this because I feel that it would be interesting to concept and create. I hope to design a very old looking and weathered well which can be seen from the texturing. I visualised in my head how old the wood may look and how eroded and broken the bricks had become over time.

I went online and gathered some reference images of potential designs in the hopes I could gain some ideas and inspiration for how to make my well look. I seen various images of wells with different designs, some with straight wooden structures and some with beaten up and aged wooden structures. There were some with large wooden wheels attached to the side which grabbed my attention at first

Old rustic stone well with wood shingle roof, Wielkopolska, Poland

Above are some concept sketches I done of potential designs for my old well. I used the research images as a reference and a form of inspiration to help me gather some ideas.