This week I took my story board and turned it into an animatic using Krita. I had received some advice about changes I could make to my storyboard and some actions that would need added to show the direction of the story more clearly. I made those changes and implemented them into my animatic.

In this original storyboard, it was suggested that I add more actions between scene 3 and 4 to properly show how the rabbit shifts its head and changes direction before running off. I made sure to include this change of action and pose in my animatic.

I went online to do some research on a rabbit’s run cycle so I could get a good reference on how the rabbits legs move with its body as it runs.

Animating Animals 1: Rabbit – The Autistic Animator's Desk                                         Body Language Project Pre-Production: Hare Studies and Character Design | Character design, Animated bunny, Rabbit drawing

Link for references:

Animating Animals 1: Rabbit

These are the new scenes, taken from the animatic. It now shows the rabbit’s shift in emotion and how it moves away from the main character’s hand, instead of it just cutting to the rabbit being in full sprint. Below is the video for my animatic. I exported all the frames from krita and compiled them into a video on Adobe AfterEffects then rendered into an mp4 video.

I am quite happy with how my animatic turned out. Now reflecting back on it I see that some scenes, particularly where the main character gasps in shock, could be longer to show the tense drama in the scene. Some other scenes I had already left the frames on for longer to highlight the importance and show the key movements without them flying by too quickly for the viewer.