This week, we had to study colour combinations and implement them into a couple of different practical colour studies.

The first task was to redraw one of our previously drawn black and white thumbnails and integrate a colour scheme/combination.

I chose to go with an analogous colour scheme consisting mainly of purple and blue, chosen to help convey a fantastical atmosphere for the bioluminescent flower field.

I took visual reference from this shot from ‘Sonic X’, with a similarly glowing flower field at night with cold colours.

The second task was to colour the given lineart in 2 different ways that convey different emotions through the use of colour and lighting.

My first colour attempt was meant to convey a magical and whimsical feeling with its use of pinks and purples, and the use of backlit lighting. I took inspiration from the backgrounds of ‘Starlight Brigade’, which I focused on for the colour scripts section of the assignment.

My second colour attempt was meant to convey warmth and serenity with the use of oranges and yellows in the sunset beyond the trees. I took inspiration from the backgrounds of ‘Steven Universe’, which I focused on for the colour scripts section of the assignment.

The third task was to take some screenshots from different animations and create a colour script that simplifies the colour palette that was used.

I chose screenshots from the TV show ‘Steven Universe’ and the online music video ‘Starlight Brigade’, as both have heavily inspired me with their colour palettes and visual design.