Professional Practice Assignment 1

Curriculum Vitae

For the curriculum vitae part of this assignment I decided to look online for examples of well laid out CVs for the animation industry. I had a CV already made from not that long ago but it was in quite a basic format and I felt like it needed to be redone to give it a more professional look. It was also more of a general CV at first rather than one that was focused primarily on the animation industry so I wanted to tailor it more towards animation and art related positions as that is likely what I would be using it for. I noticed that most CVs I looked at online where made up of two columns with different kinds of information on either side. I decided to give my CV a similar look as it originally had a very basic layout of just rows of information one after another. I also wanted the information to be as clear and concise as possible so I did my best to shorten my paragraphs as much as possible as well as clearly separating different sections of information. I used bullet points for the skills section to give a clear and ordered look which would be easy to read for an employer. I made sure to spell check my writing and tried to avoid making anything complicated or overly long. In addition to updating the layout and formatting of my CV, I also made sure to highlight my relevant skills and experiences in the animation industry. I included any relevant coursework or training I had completed, as well as any internships or freelance work I had done. I made sure to highlight any specific software or tools that I was proficient in using. I also included a section on my personal interests and hobbies, as I believe that these can give an employer a sense of my personality and passions outside of work. However, I made sure to keep this section brief and focused on interests that were relevant to the animation industry. Overall, I believe that my updated CV is a strong representation of my skills and experience in the animation industry, and I hope that it will help me to stand out to potential employers. As the writer of this CV, I am satisfied with the overall result. I feel that the updated layout and formatting, with the use of two columns and bullet points, makes the CV more visually appealing and easier to read. I also believe that I have effectively highlighted my relevant skills and experiences in the animation industry. Overall, I am confident that my updated CV is a strong representation of my skills and experience in the animation industry, and I hope that it will help me to stand out to potential employers. I believe that it will be a valuable tool in my job search and that it will help me to secure a position in an industry that I am passionate about.

Cover Letter

When searching for a studio to apply to, I made sure to find one whose work actually interested me. As I am more of a fan of 2D animation, I was drawn to Dog Ears Animation, a local studio specializing in 2D animation for children’s TV shows. I based my cover letter off of a job listing on their website for a background artist. I took the time to tailor my cover letter to Dog Ears Animation and the specific role of background animator. In my letter, I emphasized my understanding of the 2D animation pipeline and my experience creating backgrounds for both personal and freelance projects. I also mentioned my proficiency in both traditional and digital painting techniques. I wanted to demonstrate my enthusiasm for the position and the studio, so I made sure to express my anticipation for a response from the hiring manager in my letter. To make the information easier to read, I tried to divide it into distinct sections. This helps to break up the content and make it more organized and manageable for the reader. I put information about the studio and their background first followed by information about me and my background and qualifications. Overall, I think I did a decent job in preparing this cover letter for a job application at Dog Ears Animation. I took the time to research the studio and tailor the letter to the specific role of background animator.

Showreel

As I was putting together my showreel, I wanted to make sure that it was tailored specifically to the type of positions I was interested in. In this case, I was focusing on 2D positions, so I made sure to include my best 2D work first. I wanted to make a strong impression on potential employers, so I put an emphasis on quality rather than quantity, choosing only the clips that I felt would have the biggest impact. Even though I was primarily focusing on 2D positions, I still included some of my 3D work in my showreel. I wanted to demonstrate that I had experience and skills in a variety of mediums, and I believed that this would make me a more well-rounded candidate. At the end of my showreel, I included my contact details so that potential employers could easily get in touch with me. I wanted to make it as easy as possible for them to reach out if they were interested in my work. Overall, I was confident that my showreel would showcase my skills and experience as an animator, and that it would help me to stand out to potential employers. I have done a decent job in preparing my showreel for job applications in the field of 2D animation. I made an effort to tailor my showreel specifically to the type of positions I am interested in, and have included my best 2D work first to make a strong impression on potential employers. I also demonstrated my versatility by including some of my 3D work in the showreel, which would make them a more well-rounded candidate.