Self Employment

We got a talk from Jackie Smyth the Employability and Enterprise consultant which explained the pathway of going free-lance in our graphic design career. Over the years I have tried to start many art side hassles or businesses. I got really into my craft hobbies with my art and combined them both to try various ventures. Although with starting to study I didn’t really have the time or effort to put into any of this. It has always been a passion to have my own business and work for myself. Although I know I will learn a lot by working in various roles first to gain experience and learn what way a design business works.

We learned a lot of valuable information from this session, such as the business basic’s which are the 5 ‘P’s, Product/service, People, Price, Place and Promotion. These 5 things are invaluable to anyone starting up. This helps you gain the knowledge of what you are doing and having a plan going forward. Your product or service is what you are selling, you want to be able to find the right gap in the market and research this fully. Being able to do this market research will allow you to set a price point. This should be suitable for your design skills, what you have to offer and location. Also, any overheads and bills needed covered by the cost of the business. Where is your business, are you renting somewhere or able to work remotely. Promotion is mainly about advertising and social media, getting your presence out there and having people see your work and being able to have a call to action in place easily so people can reach you.

Going self-employed is a big step but not impossible. In my opinion it would be great to get money and experience from working in the industry first to allow yourself to be able to set up efficiently. There is several different ways to apply for help with artist grants and loans. Also being able to be smart with money and knowing how to do taxes or having someone to do this for you. Even if someone else is doing it for you it is important to know about business expenses, keeping receipts and invoices. Having your business legal and knowing the laws around your industry as well as appropriate insurance.

Ultimately knowing that there is a community of artists and designers around you and networking is key. As these are the people you could be potentially collaborating with. There is several different supports for artists and designers. Just having a quick look online and you will see several different agencies such as the Art council and Invest NI.