IxD302 – Week 3 – Some light reading…

IxD302 – Week 3 – Some light reading…

Whilst we were on topic this week, I decided to go head hunting for some more advice on how to get prepared for becoming a young professional. You know what they say, “Fail to Prepare, Prepare to fail!”… and I don’t want to fail… so I’m preparing. Preparing myself for different scenarios, all by the help of the handshake blog posts. These posts are brilliant, they’re concise, highlighting the most valuable tips and they’re real!

One thing I am nervous about for placement, is the thought of working completely remotely. I am quite a social person, (Most of the time…. I say as I write this post, sitting in on a Saturday night!) but seriously, I love interacting with people. It’s how we learn, pick up new skills and improve. I was nervous that remote working would mean that I will be at a disadvantage and not help me fulfil my full potential in the role. After reading this blog post I have noted some of the ways which will help me adjust to the new normal way of working. Some of the examples include scheduling virtual coffee chats, attending after work events, such as guest speakers and cooking lessons. One of the perks of this pandemic is that it has forced people to appreciate human interaction, forcing employers to find more enjoyable ways for these interactions to occur. Rather than going straight from your desk to your sofa, go meet up with people, take the opportunity to get to know everyone. Try find similar interests with your co-workers and Join an employee resource or affinity group.

There is a variety of other blog posts available to read on handshake. They have really helped me feel more reassured about going for placement and have actually made me feel more excited about enrolling myself into a more professional environment.