Typography moodboard

We were tasked with gathering inspiration, identifying all different types of typography.

Create 2 mood boards:

• Magazines and Ephemera
  • Digital (photos, online) go for a walk and look for type in your environment, finding letter forms in different applications.
  • Typography based shapes – a ladder, a desk, a window, etc… and identify what makes that shape recognisable? Bold and curved? simplified?

Moodboards are a good way to convey information and inspire. They allude to a tone of voice and briefing. Pinterest is great for this.

Click here to see my Pinterest moodboard.

Magazines

I really enjoy the playfulness created by overlaying squiggle like letters on top of bold, attention catching typography. It made me smile when I saw it. It effectively conveys an aura of playfulness and child-like innocence that I found very visually appealing. One typography contradicts the other – The white is structures, bold and organised whilst the quirky letters on the top are whimsically weird.

I would love to integrate some of this into my own designs, make it more abstract and interesting to look at. I tried out the style with my own name in my sketchbook (shown below). I think it’s a really friendly approach to typography that I would like to integrate latter on if it fits the theme.

Bellow are some other magazines that I really enjoyed researching, they used playful and at times abstract typography.

Typography based shapes

Feedback:

Work within the constrains of the shape you decide to work with – he likes this idea. Look up Paula Sher and the monogram she did for The New School – a modular, elongated letterform approach. Matched up letters. Stretched letterforms.

The overall theme that stands out in my moodboard was stretched letterforms and playfulness. I should explore this further.

Quirky and eye catching.